Should I get some euros before the referendum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
If the country decides to vote to leave the EU is the pound likely to suddenly drop significantly against the euro? Just wondering if I should change the money for our summer tour before the referendum just in case, I'm assuming the pound is unlikely to strengthen much either way it goes?
Current rate is approx. 1.30. Last summer I was able to make a couple of purchases at 1.35 and 1.38 but the rate moved to approx. 1.41 at the end of the holiday season. The rate then went into freefall around the start of the year as a result of the Brexit fears; reaching about 1.21 before recovering to the current rate.

I'll be needing to make an exchange later in the year but I'm waiting until after the poll in the hope that we stay in the EU and the rate improves because of the traders feeling good about the uncertainty being removed. However, as others have said - it's a gamble and even 1.30 looks good compared to some of the rates I've got in previous years when there wasn't a 'Brexit' fear!

IMO Currency rates often appear to be more related to how the traders 'feel' than hard economic/political data so it's hard to judge when to jump at a purchase! Good luck with your 'guess'.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's the bit the Brexiteers seem to struggle with... they think that we can go back to the days of Empire and unilateralism...
And failing manufacturing industry and trade unions

MiK1138

Veteran
£350 million per week we have to give to the EU was the report i heard?

So you can manage on £7.50 p/hour?

OK maybe that was slightly exaggerated....:biggrin:
Did Boris mention how much we get back from the EU when he was burning his 350,000,000 quid cheque...No thought not #trustinBoris

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I was alive long before 73 ......1950......"Do you actually understand what the working conditions were at that time and what rights were available to workers?" Yes....That's why we had trade unions.

"You're entitled to your opinion of course. It doesn't mean that you're correct however." ...Yeah as are you, I think people are just frightened of change.
it's a bit Pays you money and takes your chance i suppose.
Are these the same trade unions that when offered worker representation at board level in the newly nationalised industries (like they have in Germany), told the Labour government where to stick it, thus perpetuating the 'us versus them' mentality that helped decimate the manufacturing industry?

sight-pin

Veteran
Are these the same trade unions that when offered worker representation at board level in the newly nationalised industries (like they have in Germany), told the Labour government where to stick it, thus perpetuating the 'us versus them' mentality that helped decimate the manufacturing industry?[/QUOT

I was saying what it was at the time.

MiK1138

Veteran
Are these the same trade unions that when offered worker representation at board level in the newly nationalised industries (like they have in Germany), told the Labour government where to stick it, thus perpetuating the 'us versus them' mentality that helped decimate the manufacturing industry?
Nah mate that'll be a different Trade Union, it might be the Trade union who after WW2 when a 3rd of planets sea going vessels needed replaced refused to allow their yards to modernize meaning the Germans and Japanese dominated the Post War shipping industry

D

Deleted member 26715

If only they all would tell the truth, the real truth as I see is it nobody actually knows what's going to happen in the future, whether we stay in or pull out. They & all you in or outers can all hypothesis what you think may happen, but it is all guesswork.

We sort of know what happens if we stay, we get sold further down the river, because UK Government's won't commit wholeheartedly to getting in there & trying to take charge or at least getting a seat at the big boys (and girls) table.

If we come out it's a whole new ballgame it's never happened before, I don't believe we will be just cut-off & never dealt with again, other EU countries have too much to lose to do that. There will be some volatility in the world markets not because there needs to be, but because some people will see an way to make big money out of it.

At the end of the day, it has nothing to do with what we want, it's what the bankers & big business want,

Top Bottom