Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
made a lot better having my boy helping!.

This improves everything.

keithmac

Guru
https://subarutech.net

$2950 for a years subscription to use the Subaru a select monitor, was always silly money. I used psi Secs on my Impreza :smile:

Ford are now £4000 a year.

I registered as an Independent Operator and they wanted over £100 for one days access to their server iirc. Absolutely rip off.

I was under the impression with cars and their Euro compliance any PCM updates should be free of charge but obviously not!.

I bought a VCM2 (Ford factory diagnost tool) and use FORScan which is a much better interface over Fords IDS. Managed to find the PCM update files online.

Our bike subscription is £350 a year iirc, bargain really!.

Some people still complain if you charge them £40 for your time and use of nigh on £3k worth of equipment to pull diagnostic codes but luckily they are now few and far between..

keithmac

Guru
Half an hour faffing about this morning and it's out!.

20220826_093126.jpg

I was up a ladder doing our guttering on Monday and that was high enough!.

Anyone who works at height deserves a medal imho!.

To be fair, I have a few old bikes and think I'm pretty handy with a spanner but when it comes to rebuilding an engine or gearbox (WTF is that all about?) that's a different ball game.

keithmac

Guru
Engines are just like big jigsaws or Rubics cubes really. If you can be certain of timing on TDC cylinder One you can't go far wrong.

I've rebuilt a few engines that have come to us in cardboard boxes, always nicer to do if you've taken It apart yourself!.

I don't do heights at all, signed up for an abseil down Malham Cove, most frightening thing thing I've ever done but couldn't let the Scouts down!.

Engines are just like big jigsaws or Rubics cubes really. If you can be certain of timing on TDC cylinder One you can't go far wrong.

I've rebuilt a few engines that have come to us in cardboard boxes, always nicer to do if you've taken It apart yourself!.

I don't do heights at all, signed up for an abseil down Malham Cove, most frightening thing thing I've ever done but couldn't let the Scouts down!.

It's that gearbox thing that gets me everytime.

I've got an old Z1 that had a head gasket leak which I decided to fix, can't be that hard thought I, bought all the bits, put it back together and got the cam timing out!

2 bent valves later I took it to someone who knew what they were doing, each to their own I say.

keithmac

Guru
It's that gearbox thing that gets me everytime.

I've got an old Z1 that had a head gasket leak which I decided to fix, can't be that hard thought I, bought all the bits, put it back together and got the cam timing out!

2 bent valves later I took it to someone who knew what they were doing, each to their own I say.

Yeh, fair enough!.

I always rotate engine gently by hand 4 full crank rotations and that way you can feel if anything is off, plus final timing check.

You were unlucky to bend a valve, we've done a fair few manual cam chain tensioner conversions and some of those had jumped timing ,(Yamaha R1s are terrible for that). Suppose it depends how coarse the chain and sprockets are.

keithmac

Guru
Got my favourite R Nine T back in for work on Tuesday.

Already done his airbox delete kit, bespoke exhausts, clear valve covers, battery relocation and digital speedo/ dash.

He's having new triple clamps and dropped bars fitting now.

Lovely bloke, must admit though he was a bit made when I was chopping his airbox out with a Sawzall a while back but he's definitely got an eye for quality kit!.

20220827_161226.jpg

20220827_161234.jpg

20220827_161250.jpg

Top Bottom