Show us your hub gear bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Girls bike!
It is not, and never has been, owned by a girl. It is a man's bike.

So ner.

P2130239-768x1024.jpg

SRAM Torpedo 3spd coaster.

Now that is a bling chainwheel

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Any excuse indeed ...

web-q-leigh03.jpg

The fairing looks a bit more used now, and has a light bracket:

trikemods-7.jpg

I also have a Brompton, but don't think I've ever photographed it. Must get around to that sometime.

Ben

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Any excuse indeed ...

The fairing looks a bit more used now, and has a light bracket:

I also have a Brompton, but don't think I've ever photographed it. Must get around to that sometime.

Ben

So where's the hub gearing?

I think that you've got the wrong thread.

Crankarm

Guru
Here's my tourer:-

5392880830_94218f2fd3_b.jpg
11-01-27 Rohloff Enigma LHS 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

5392876248_2f219b709f_b.jpg
11-01-27 Rohloff Enigma RHS 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Spec is Enigma Ti frame, Rohloff with Hubbub mounted shifter, BB7 discs, Hope 160mm rotors, Mavic A317, Marathon Extremes, SON dyno, Supernova E3.
Since the picture was taken, I've fitted a Fizik saddle and moved the pump to one of the seatstays.

Looks like the perfect low maintenance commuter/touring bike except that the rear brake caliper is in the wrong position, the frame does not have horizontal drop outs so it needs a chain tensioner and therefore cannot fit a chain guard to keep chain clean.

Crankarm

Guru
I had my garage turned over by a tea leaf earlier in the year who made off with a couple of road bikes and most of my tools. Insurance covered the theft, but gave me credit at a bike shop, not cash. I wanted to stay with steel and seeing as I used my road bike off road quite a bit, I went with a steel cyclocross bike. In the end I chose the 2011 Genesis Day_01 Alfine. I love the colour! :biggrin::becool:

5891630009_6ba5fed755_o.jpg
5970592857_500df8b6dd_o.jpg
Both the above photos were taken on the first shake down ride through the forest (about 30k), so I had to tighten everything up when I got home, but it all worked very nicely. :smile: I really like the idea of gear hub bikes now, so I'm thinking about building an SA S2C into a 27" rim for a Dawes Ambassador frame I have in the garage.

I looked at this bike for about 1 minute, then ruled it out as it has Avid BB5 brakes and not the BB7s, rear brake caliper is in the wrong position hampering fitment of a rear rack, no bosses in front forks to fit low loader rack for panniers. So a fail imho.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have loads. My winter road bike will be converted to SA hub shortly, I have another Puch folding bike which I haven't photographed and few other projects on the go.

http://flic.kr/p/bF5PG5
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29091369@N07/5241161338/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29091369@N07/7063767043/ - this has British badging but various features and the fork designs suggest to me it is actually a Dutch or German made frame.

HovR

Über Member
I looked at this bike for about 1 minute, then ruled it out as it has Avid BB5 brakes and not the BB7s, rear brake caliper is in the wrong position hampering fitment of a rear rack, no bosses in front forks to fit low loader rack for panniers. So a fail imho.

I thought the title of the thread was "Show us your hub gear bike", not "Post your bike here to be critiqued by crankarm". :rolleyes:

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Looks like the perfect low maintenance commuter/touring bike except that the rear brake caliper is in the wrong position, the frame does not have horizontal drop outs so it needs a chain tensioner and therefore cannot fit a chain guard to keep chain clean.

Yup, I agree about the brake caliper; the chain stay is a much better place for it. My other bike has it there.
I tried to magic gear this bike but the chain wore so quickly that it quickly became danglier that a dangly thing. It's now got a Tension Seeker.
More pictures:-
Attempted magic gear after ~200 miles

6795402212_400640fd8e_z.jpg
12-02-29 Enigma/Rohloff/ Kinesis DC19 RHS by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr
With Tension Seeker.
7170982574_abcd795f46_z.jpg
12-05-10 Tension Seeker Enigma by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Close-up.
7170984880_928b681099_z.jpg
12-05-10 Tension Seeker Enigma 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

The other bike; how the rear brake should be mounted. (The fork in this picture is now on the other bike, having been replaced by a Trigon MTB fork from Ebay. Other changes are to the saddle, tyres, quick-releases and an extra bottle cage). Focus on the chainstay.
5816528410_50b6027913_z.jpg
11-06-09 Disc-braked Enigma road bike LHS by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Crankarm

Guru
I thought the title of the thread was "Show us your hub gear bike", not "Post your bike here to be critiqued by crankarm". :rolleyes:

You mean you want praise not criticism. It's an OK looking bike, I'll grant you that but it still has these shortcomings. What I am really being critical of is most bike designers/manufacturers haven't got a clue about everyday riding so whilst a frame might have several really good things in it's favour it is let down by several others that really have not been considered as the manufacturer frame builder hasn't researched properly what the bike will ultimately be used for and how easy it will be to fit various accessories such as racks and general maintainence. The Alfine Day One and Plant X Pompetamine have frames which I guess are mass produced cheaply so the cost of placing the rear disc brake caliper inside the rear triangle or putting in bosses for front low loader racks or having horizontal drop outs if a hub gear is being used, isn't going to vastly increase the cost of the bike. It appears most the time they CBA as a few bikes such as Scott Sub 10 and Milk RDA are properly thought through. For a hub geared bike you really have to have a frame with horizontal drop outs unless you are converting an existing frame to a hub gear.

HovR

Über Member
You mean you want praise not criticism.

It's not my bike or images, I just found the flaw finding in other peoples bikes a little bit rude. You probably didn't intend it that way, as you do raise some valid points, but that's just how it came across to me.

Crankarm

Guru
It's not my bike or images, I just found the flaw finding in other peoples bikes a little bit rude. You probably didn't intend it that way, as you do raise some valid points, but that's just how it came across to me.

Fair enough. Not intentional. They look good but for me it is functionality. I seek an ultra low maintenance bike the Holy Grail if you like. I could post a pic of my Brompton which is hub geared but everyone knows what a Brompton looks like so I won't bother. Maybe I post a pic of my other hub geared bike when I find it or have it build which I fear will be the only option, an exponseeeve option.

Top Bottom