Show us your hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
My is a 2008 Carrera Subway 2 with a few upgrades.... and I love it.

Upgrades:
Saddle for a Brooks
Crank set
Wheels
Stem - best investment...... old one was 2.5 the weigh and made a noise under load.
Pedals for Shimano SPD

I use it mainly in the winter months.

IMAG0334-vi.jpg

IMAG0335-vi.jpg

Cyclist33

Couple of pics from today's 57 miler... :smile:

(Though she's more of a flat bar road bike with the current tyres on.)

IMAG0451.jpg
IMAG0454.jpg

Cyclist33

Deary god. What is a hybrid?

Anything you find it personally impossible to define :tongue: .

What is a road bike?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Giant Iguana cica 199? specced as my winter commuter with conti travel contacts, gaurds etc .
Since the photo i have changed the saddle .
Ebay find for £40,.Apart from a patina of wear on the frame all the bearing,chain and wheels are true and run sweetly .
photo0025o.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The word hybrid has been in use (as applied to bikes with 700c wheels and flat/riser bars) since at least 1987. How old is your Giant?
like i said the OP`s bike is 26 " wheels ,in fact wiki lists they city bike hybrid variation as a bike with 26 " wheels derived from MTB heritage.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
giantroam2.jpg

Just reposting an image ive used before, Ill have to find some more :smile: Its a Giant Roam 2 (2010), it looks much cooler without the tour bag and full guards, but I dont like skidmarks up my back.

The reason i classify mine as a hybrid rather than a front sus. mountain bike, is because it has a few differences.
- Its hard to see from the pic but the cranks are longer than on a mountain bike, so dont clear the road by as much
-The bottom bracket is lower than my MTB, but higher than a road bike as the geometry is somewhere between too.
-Although it has a granny gear like MTBs and Shimano's MTB derailleurs, it also has a 48/11 top gear which means its plenty geared for speed on the road too.
-700c wheels rather than 26"
It really does have aspects of MTB and aspects of a flatbar road bike.

I wish i hadnt left the rear light there in the picture, but it mounts there when the bags off the bike rather than the belt clip on the bag but its more secure there too.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
C'mon, I'm serious. What is a hybrid?
I've always thought of a hybrid as a bike that is somewhere between a road bike and a mountain bike, with a mixture of the features of each. I know you dislike the term and I think a lot of "hybrids" can be suitably classified as mountain bikes or flatbar road bikes. You could classify mine (posted above) as a front sus. MTB, but its literally a fixed fork away from the Specialized Sirrus which is classified as a flatbar road bike - similar geometry, same mtb derailleurs, same gear ratios etc etc.

The term is irritating though, especially when a newbie says I need a bike for road and trails and someone says "get a hybrid", which can literally mean anything from a MTB to a Flat Bar Roadie, perhaps even some cyclocross style bikes even. Utterly misleading term, perhaps some kind of X-Road or X-Trail category would be more appropriate, if there were any consistency in the bike specs. :smile:

potsy

Rambler
My Trek 7.1fx, the bike that got me into this madness over 3 years ago.
Has now been relegated to emergency use only, last year I put studded tyres on it but never really needed them so it stayed in 'storage'
hybrid.jpg

Top Bottom