Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gareth01244

Veteran
My mid 90s Stephen Roche
IMG_7832.JPG

Noru

Ch3aGekWkAAnkzR.jpg

Picked this up this Universal Town & Country today, it's in excellent condition. Apparently hasn't moved from it's position in a shed for at least 10 years, so I've spent the day washing, polishing & oiling and it's come up great.

I've been after a hub geared bike for a while for riding into Manchester rather than using the tram. Initial idea was to try some solid Tannus tyres but it's currently 26 x 1 ⅜ so may have to stick to 26 x 1 ⅜ for now.

Not been out for a test ride yet as the tubes & tyres are probably 21 years old as the frame and Sturmey Archer hub are stamped 1995.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Picked this up this Universal Town & Country today, it's in excellent condition. Apparently hasn't moved from it's position in a shed for at least 10 years, so I've spent the day washing, polishing & oiling and it's come up great.
It looks almost identical to my Riviera Sports which I posted in https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1940s-raleigh-rescue-should-i-or-shouldnt-i.168167/post-3505547 except that it looks like you've got plastic guards rather than my heavy steel ones?

I've been after a hub geared bike for a while for riding into Manchester rather than using the tram. Initial idea was to try some solid Tannus tyres but it's currently 26 x 1 3/8 so may have to stick to 26 x 1 3/8 for now.
One legendary advantage of 26x1⅜ tyres is that they're supposedly too fat to fall into tram tracks easily - I say legendary because I've not been able to confirm it. I'm riding kevlar-inside Delta Cruisers on mine.

Noru

It looks almost identical to my Riviera Sports which I posted in https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1940s-raleigh-rescue-should-i-or-shouldnt-i.168167/post-3505547 except that it looks like you've got plastic guards rather than my heavy steel ones?

One legendary advantage of 26x1⅜ tyres is that they're supposedly too fat to fall into tram tracks easily - I say legendary because I've not been able to confirm it. I'm riding kevlar-inside Delta Cruisers on mine.

Very nice, it does look the same. I will double check later but I think mine has the metal mudguards too, they're just black rather than colour matched to the frame. I've ordered some Delta Cruisers for it. I reckon I'd need a fat-bike to ride without the hassle of dodging tram lines, hopefully I wont end up testing the 26x1⅜ theory anytime soon.

Top Bottom