Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
20131010_012323.jpg

Old Gazelle lugged 531, originally had canti brake bosses now removed. When I first got the bike i removed the brake bosses and all the braze ons and used it fixed then singlespeed for a few years. Then the rims wore out so I put the wheels from a three speed shopping bike on it and did Lands end to John O Groats on it. Need wheels, forks and bars to stick it on a turbo.
Here it is in a previous life.
cid_BB9B8D07B0724410BFB17284410A68FDStevePC.jpg

petersull

Here is my £20 Puegeot. Eventully.

IMG_20131006_202554.jpg

Rebuilt my Galaxy, still needs a few touches to finish. racks, bottle cage and some period pedals to finish.
View attachment 30891

Hello Limeburn

I like the look of that, I think its a later version of mine (as refurbed in my profile picture) although I cant be sure, mine may be an echelon.

can I ask what front mech you are using? I have an old dura ace on at the moment but would like to change it to something less highly strung.

cheers

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1991 Trek 720 I bought from Craigslist last week. A wonderful riding bicycle, much like the geometry of the 520, but with upright handlebars and a welded frame. Very hard to find an old hybrid bicycle this big in my area, and especially in such great shape. Pretty much wax and ride, after threading brake cables through the rack I added. Probably one of the nicest bikes I've owned. It is pictured on the platform at the Normal Railroad Station, which is also part of the trail for bikes and runners.
Trek720byfence_edited-1_zps003a5577.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
1991 Trek 720 I bought from Craigslist last week. A wonderful riding bicycle, much like the geometry of the 520, but with upright handlebars and a welded frame. Very hard to find an old hybrid bicycle this big in my area, and especially in such great shape. Pretty much wax and ride, after threading brake cables through the rack I added. Probably one of the nicest bikes I've owned. It is pictured on the platform at the Normal Railroad Station, which is also part of the trail for bikes and runners.

I bought quite a nice 520 down here a little while ago for £30 (about $20), not for me but for my security guy. Very nice bike but fitted with what we call "north road bars". Will post a pic.

simon.r

Person
I've just finished building this up:

photo 1.JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG

photo 3.JPG

I'm not going to get chance to ride it properly for a few days, but a quick run up and down the road felt good - just the usual bar and saddle tweaking required.
I wanted to build a light-ish modern steel bike. It's come in at 20.5 lbs (or 9.3 kg if you prefer) and if I say so myself, I'm pleased with the result:smile:

bigjim

Legendary Member
Doesn't look used !!
Might not be. It's a 1985 model.
I've found out that the B/B hardly turns. Eventually I managed to get the adjustable B/B cup off [the fixed cup will not move]. The bearing are in races and the grease had turned into a heavy tar. I cleaned it all up and the bearings are looking shiny and new. So I repacked it all with new grease and it's turning freely now.
Time for a ride.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I got rid of my lightweight alloy/carbon bikes because of my [maybe irrational] fear of carbon breakage and a harsh ride on long days.
I still wanted a light road bike so I bought this 853 Steel frame and forks.
Built it up from my box of bits and it comes in at less than 10kg for a big frame. It's a Special Products build and for some reason has a braze-on for a race number under the top tube.
11222598293_baedd113a9_z.jpg

Top Bottom