show us your vintage road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i have been looking for a steel framed cheapie to use on my turbo trainer and have just been given this by a good mate.

Having riden it, i will end up using it for relaxed road rides of a shorter distance too.

its a Falcon with 501 tubing, unsure of the year so anyone with any info, it would be appriciated. not too sure that it fits in here but hay ho.

i have replaced the tyres, re-wrapped the bars over the original tape (couldnt bring myself to take the original tape off as yet) and am planning to find a more fitting chainset (it has a mountain bike triple at the moment - came with it!).

i will ride it for a while and may, once i am convinced, convert it to a single speed or Fixed...

Attachments

• IMG416.jpg
    IMG416.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 259
I have, I think, 12 vintage or near vintage bikes as follows. The number tends to change regularly as I go n+1 but I really do need to sell a couple soon. Don't have piccies of them all, some of my faves below, especially the Olmo which is my best dry days only bike.
Mecacycle Turbo
Olmo prototype with fluted tubing (groupset now changed to full Campag 8 speed Ergos shifting on a 7 speed Shimano cassette to avoid having to cold set the rear forks)
Olmo Competition
Olmo Giro (frame on the way as I type!)
Vitus 979 full Campag Veloce
Vitus 979 Shimano 105
Vitus 787
Bill Nickson Reynolds 531 Designer Select
Nigel Dean Reynolds 653
Lemond Nevada City
Fondriest Megacarb
Sirius Micro LowPro timetrial bike (the photo shows it before it was completed, seatpost now a couple of inches shorter and it has some nice reverse brake levers on the bullhorn bars)

Olmo 1.jpg

Mecacycle 1.jpg

Bill Nickson 1a.JPG

Sirius lowpro.jpg

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I forgot my other Criterium:
P9020173.jpg

1975 Vintage too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm in the process of tarting this one up a bit, but not too much. It came from Nelson Cycles, West Wickham in the 60's I think. My son's girlfriend's grandfather had it from new and passed away recently. It was kept inside and unused for at least the last 20 years of it's life.

IMG_0454.jpg

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I DO like that! I wish 'er indoors would let me get one!

Do what I did; buy one anyway and hide it away somewhere to be discovered (by 'er indoors) at some future date.

After a few weeks, she'll probably be talking to you again. ^_^

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Do what I did; buy one anyway and hide it away somewhere to be discovered (by 'er indoors) at some future date.

After a few weeks, she'll probably be talking to you again. ^_^

My tactic is equally deceitful but more direct - I get it home and give a cheery shout of "Darling, come and look what I've just won in a raffle!!!" - that way I get to play with it right away.

(Funnily enough my wife seems to be winning a lot of raffles involving sewing machines and material just lately :cursing: )

Top Bottom