Sign my Avaaz petition if you believe fare evasion should not be a criminal offence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

rliu

Veteran
Speeding is also another example of how minor criminal offences erode the credibility of a criminal law system. The case of Chris Huhne proved that even government ministers, with a lot to risk and supposedly pall bearers of social respectability, thought it was fine to raise that classic defence to speeding of 'my wife was driving at the time.' My current employment contract also has a term on that new criminal convictions during employment will lead to summary dismissal, aside from 'motoring offences with no jail term imposed.' When you have a situation where you can place an asterisk next to a criminal act it devalues the whole system.

I'm certainly hesitant to encourage drivers to drive at excessive speed as many times I've felt my heart beat rising from the engine rev of a car behind. The last time I crashed it was partly because I was trying to maintain over 20mph to stop a car behind from feeling tempted to overtake on a narrow road. But I think what I mentioned, incorporating cyclist awareness into driving tests, and also a mass TV campaign perhaps using helmet cam footage would be more effective at getting people to drive more responsibly.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I don't know what Avaaz is, but I wish I'd not "signed" this petition, I am getting loads of requests and am all petitioned out, consider Avaaz spammed.

Top Bottom