Silly place names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

machew

Veteran
A town in Austria that keeps getting their signs stolen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/farking,_Austria

My early cycling days were often spent in Worcestershire, visiting such places as the Piddles, Flyford Flavell, and my favourite, Upton Snodsbury.

Visiting Aberdeenshire this year I was most amused to ride through Towie.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I diverted from my Ride of the Roses just so I could say I've been to Wetwang in Yorkshire.

We lived near Acock's Green many years ago and used to commute to Lickey End near Bromsgrove.

Plus I now work in Lower Peover.

All this is true and a touch worrying.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am planning our LEJOG for next year and a first night stop at Goonhaven is tempting. I wonder what the inhabitants are like?

Not forgetting Pity Me in County Durham.
And a 'No Mans Land' in Devon,or possibly Cornwall, I forget which

East Yorkshire has a 'Land Of Nod'

Hull has a 'Land Of Green Ginger'

East Yorkshire Scenes. Howden. Land Of Nod.JPG

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
... such as Little Sodbury and Barton-in-the-Beans. Another favourite of mine is the Nottinghamshire village of Gotham. My mother-in-law once spoiled that one a bit for me by explaining that it is pronounced "Goat-am". This, however, never really diminishes my glee every time I drive up to Nottingham to find that some wag has, yet again, adjusted the road sign in black marker pen so that it reads "Gotham City"...

Old Sodbury as well. When I lived in Nottingham I was told that the locals made jokes about the Gothamites and the foolish and pointless things they did, who were all supposed to be daft, and that it was where the nickname of Gotham for New York was derived.

There are some Piddles in Dorset, all down the Piddle Valley along the River Piddle, of course. Then there's Ryme Intrinseca. There are quite a few Petty Frances, which I always wondered about the derivation of. No Man's Land's as well; there's one near Romsey. And Richard's a star, because I was just trying to remember the Land of Nod and couldn't.

Top Bottom