Slower/casual ride in or around Maidstone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MattL

I sometimes do a changeable route which goes from Maidstone to Biddenden via Headcorn, across to Goudhurst/Horsmonden and back to Maidstone via Yalding or Linton.

It's quite steep in parts (especially Yalding hill). I'm no speed demon at an average of around 11-12mph with the elevation so it'll be a couple of hours but it's a decent ride with interesting views and terrain.

Maidstone leisure centre would be an ideal meeting point. 10am sound doable next Saturday (13th)?

This will be my first ride in a organised group, other than going on my own to London to Brighton and London to Southend.

OP
OP
M

MattL

Sounds like a nice ride (apart from that word 'steep'!), but I couldn't do this Saturday as I'm doing the Bognor ride on Friday night. Later in the month maybe?

Do you mean you were on the wet genteel Brighton and chilly Southend FNRttCs? Hope you don't bring the weather with you if so! :whistle:

I'd finished the Brighton run before started raining. (I was at a garage stuffing my face with an all-day breakfast sandwich when it began raining.) As for Southend, there was bit of drizzle but to a northerner, drizzle is almost a memory of home. I only got a little lick, maybe about a minute or so but the wind was gusting as you headed into Southend.

The elevation on the route is quite doable. It makes for a more interesting ride. (Everyone loves to go "Wwweeeeeeee!!!" on the way down.) Yes, Yalding Hill will burn but that's the fun part, no? :smile:

As for dates, I may be able to do it some time within the weekend of the 20th or 21st. Saturday or Sunday is fine for me with a bit of notice. An evening right might be a bit of a squeeze although manageable with the light just about holding until 21:00-ish.

martint235

Dog on a bike
As for dates, I may be able to do it some time within the weekend of the 20th or 21st. Saturday or Sunday is fine for me with a bit of notice. An evening right might be a bit of a squeeze although manageable with the light just about holding until 21:00-ish.

It sounds like a fun ride and I can get to Maidstone without too many problems.

If you run a second one, I'd be interested (20th is the August ride for food to Felpham).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
MattL.

If I may, here's a few tips for organising a ride.

1: Choose Date
2: Check the forum that it does not clash with other rides
3: Specify a time and place of meet. Preferably at a (main) train station and try to coincide with train arrivals (and returns).
4: Organise a route that includes a couple of stops. 1 for tea & cake, 1 for lunch.
5: Make gps/tcx route available (via bikehike/ridewithgps etc)

Get that sorted and people will come. May be 1 other, maybe a couple or may be a good few, but you will have a ride.

I have cycled all the places you have mentioned many times so would very happily join you for a ride.

OP
OP
M

MattL

It's my first attempt at this so apologies it's not as organised as it could be but I've taken the feedback on board and for the next time (assuming this goes ok) I'll create a GPS route etc.

Here is the proposed route (see attached.) Maidstone East train station is marked as the start/end point. On route I've put two quick breaks, one in Headcorn (which has a bike shop) and one in Claygate for a quick breather/running repairs etc. I've never been to Cranbrook but there is a bakery and a tea room there so that would make a nice stop point for lunch.

Total distance is approx 44 miles.

I might be busy the next couple of weekends so assuming reasonable weather, I plan on being at the station for 10am on Saturday.

Attachments

• bike-route.jpg
    bike-route.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 28

rb58

Enigma
Sorry MattL. It's the Friday Night Ride to the Coast this week so many of us will be in Bognor Regis about that time eating Full English Breakfast. Some of us will then ride bike, but I doubt many - not even Martin - will ride back via Maidstone. Let me know if you do it on another occasion.

Cheers

Top Bottom