Smartwatch & driving law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
So from the legislation, it would depend on whether:
1. A smartwatch is a "hand-held device" for the purposes of the legislation
2. If so, whether it is a device "which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data" (pretty obvious it does)
3. If so, whether the behaviour in the OP counts as "using" it for the purposes of the legislation

It would need to be tested in law, and even then only at Crown Court to get anything binding.

Crown Court decision is not binding. You would need Court of Appeal or above

A Moto 360
Very cool. I got mine as a gift earlier this year and was initially not too sure if it was going to be any use, but I've found I like it. Very handy getting call and email alerts when the phone is on mute. Track and volume control for Pandora when riding. And GPS navigation guidance means I can leave the phone in my pocket when riding. I haven't found it a distraction while driving, well no more than wearing a normal watch.

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
Whilst getting ready for my commute this morning I kept saying to the wife "I've forgotten something". Within the first mile of my house I remembered, rainproof trousers. At the traffic lights a quick message to the wife telling her what I had forgotten, with her response being does she want me to drop them to her at work.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
You can even get a cycling specific watch face

image.png

Top Bottom