solicitor or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snowdrop

hi, I am new here, I am trying to help my friend;
a white van drove into her when she was on her way to work,
police arrived, she was taken to the hospital by an ambulance, she had a cut on her head and was quite bushed about but no permanent injuries,
the bike was damaged and she had to have 4 weeks off work before she was no longer sore, she is self employed and not insured for cycling,
now we are getting facts together to start a claim, she believes we can sort it ourselves without any help from a solicitor, because, she thinks, that the claim is small and the solicitor's fee would swallow most of it,

is she right ?
I have had a look at the forum and read some good info but it seems that the cyclists here do use solicitors to sort their claims out,
what is more beneficial ?
cheers,

What is the position taken by the driver?
Meaning does he accept responsibility?
What does his insurance company says?

classic33

Leg End Member
hi, I am new here, I am trying to help my friend;
a white van drove into her when she was on her way to work,
police arrived, she was taken to the hospital by an ambulance, she had a cut on her head and was quite bushed about but no permanent injuries,
the bike was damaged and she had to have 4 weeks off work before she was no longer sore, she is self employed and not insured for cycling,
now we are getting facts together to start a claim, she believes we can sort it ourselves without any help from a solicitor, because, she thinks, that the claim is small and the solicitor's fee would swallow most of it,

is she right ?
I have had a look at the forum and read some good info but it seems that the cyclists here do use solicitors to sort their claims out,
what is more beneficial ?
cheers,
I spent 6 months fighting my own corner following be T-boned at a junction. Personal advice would be to get a solicitor, their cost will be or should be, added to any claim made.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i would get a solicitor. If you go with one that is no win no fee, make sure they claim for their costs seperate from her compensation. Try the CTC too. And contact his insurance asap to inform them of the claim. Keep every receipt including taxis bus fares etc.

buggi

Bird Saviour
another reason for getting a solicitor is that the insurance company will know you are ignorant of the law and compensation claim amounts and they will make low offers.

classic33

Leg End Member
i would get a solicitor. If you go with one that is no win no fee, make sure they claim for their costs seperate from her compensation. Try the CTC too. And contact his insurance asap to inform them of the claim. Keep every receipt including taxis bus fares etc.
If you decide on a No Win - No Fee solicitor, make sure that they fully understand that it was a cyclist involved & that not all bikes cost £100, or less. If you have the slightest doubt about their capabilities, don't be afraid to point it out to them. Applies if you're paying the solictor as well, but moreso on a No Win - No Fee case.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't throw anything that was in use at the time of the incident. Even if you've replaced them since.

sidevalve

Über Member
Just be aware, if you go with a "no win no fee" job then if you lose [just in case]. Then they may not charge but the other side may. OK it's not a big risk but just something to be aware of.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Glenn if she joins CTC now I would think they would only advice her for future accidents and not accidents before the joining date.

After my accident I used a solicitor. Without doubt the best thing I did. The legal system is a maze which can tie you up for ever. It is worth paying a few pounds just to consult a solicitor to see if the case is worth fighting.

Steve

Top Bottom