Victim of a hit & run this morning on Embankment, London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wouldn't think insurance is the reason for driving off. The 2 most recent hit-and-run killings in Deptford did not involve insurance. But they did share a sense of road entitlement and an Audi badge.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Drivers of luxury cars are 3-4 times more likely to break the law than the general population. That's not to say that all luxury car drivers are twunts, of course, but a slightly greater proportion are.

michaelcycle

Did you get her reg no?

If so, you can do a one off search for £4 here:

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

to establish the insurer on cover. Then after you have reported it to the Police you can contact the insurer directly and let them know you have been involved in an accident and notify them of any losses you have suffered and you want to recoup. That will save you faffing around trying to get the insurance details if she doesn't report the incident to the Police.

If you have been injured though use an independent firm of solicitors rather deal with the insurer direct as you will get a better result.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
that is terrible. whats really annoying is that from mid morning there has been operation cubos on embankment stopping drivers for no insurance etc.
Aha - that's what it was.

As to the OP - hope you're ok and it gets sorted for you

As to the Audi driver - I bet there's no malfeasance involved. She simply had more important things to do this morning than faffing about with a mere cyclist's worries.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Drivers of luxury cars are 3-4 times more likely to break the law than the general population.
Do you have a link to valid statistics to support this claim, because it sounds an awful lot like a lame attempt to incite some 'us v's them' anger mixed with a little bit of jealousy.

IMO bad drivers are just bad drivers regardless of what they use and my own 'finger in the air' guesstimate would be that around 10-15% of people with a driving licence shouldn't have.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
All the more reason to keep my cameras on with prats like this about.

Number plate at Aldgate tonight M11WAL.:becool:

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do you have a link to valid statistics to support this claim, because it sounds an awful lot like a lame attempt to incite some 'us v's them' anger mixed with a little bit of jealousy.

IMO bad drivers are just bad drivers regardless of what they use and my own 'finger in the air' guesstimate would be that around 10-15% of people with a driving licence shouldn't have.
A starter for 10? and there's lot more out there.

My last company car was an Audi A8

classic33

Leg End Member
Report it & get yourself checked

Get a written record down on paper. At this stage its not important if you're the only one who can understand what you are writing. You'll put it all down later, when you're certain you have everything there.
I had L/R/Slowup-Down/Him/Me? on the original. Put into words what that meant at when putting everything in order for my working copy.
"Working copy" by the way is my way of saying, once you're happy that you have everything down & in the correct order, you print a copy off, dated of course, and work from that. It makes it easier for you, as you then are telling the same, to everyone. This “Working Copy” will be in order of occurrence. Who did what, where & when.

Include the time of the incident, the time you called the police & on what number. If possible the name of the person you spoke to. Not always forthcoming with this bit of information. Put all this at the top of your working copy. Makes it easier find in a hurry.
What were the road/traffic conditions like. Direction of travel & intended direction of travel & direction actually taken.
Get the collision log number created by the police, this will be its own seperate number. Include this number if given on your working copy. Only found out about that over 6 months later. No collision log created, therefore no collision. Despite the police attending a 999 call.

Photocopy/scan all receipts. Ink fades & the thermal printed ones can blacken in minutes.

You have a witness who chased after her. Did you get their name, or even car registration? If so see if they’ll be willing to put onto paper their actions.

Seek qualified legal advice, used to working for cyclists. I learnt that bit the hard way. I used RJW through the CTC.Have you tried checking the vehicle registration & tax/VED details?https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e2s1

You might want to keep a written log. What you did, who phoned who, when, what number was used especially if they contact you, leaving a number. Who you spoke to. Try and get names if possible. What were road & weather conditions like. Were lights fitted & in use at the time. Some people ride with their rear light on at all times so it’s not as odd as it sounds.

I was a hell of a lot more clinical factwise than Schneil. Would you be able to give a closing speed for the pair of you before the impact & at the time of impact? I don't drive, but impact speed in my case I put at less than the driver. Less than 10mph, low speed impact.

Don't ride the bike again until you get it checked. Insurance may require that the bike be checked for damage that was only caused in the incident. Also riding the same bike may have them saying there can't have been anything wrong, you're exaggerating your claim. I'd had that said to me & being able to say that it was still at the LBS awaiting collection, kinda knocked some of the wind out of their sails.

See if there is any CCTV footage for the area in which it took place. Easy way of doing it is to go back & look for any cameras. Council has to keep a record of the owner & operators of these camera's. Same contact details should also be visible on the camera itself.

Feel down the underside of the downtube & see if you can feel anything that seems out of place. Does the front wheel still turn ok, when you turn it from side to side with the handlebars? Do it slowly, with the wheel off the ground. No grating sound or feel when you're doing this?
You find damage, get photographs taken of it.

Photograph the damage, using a tape measure to which you have taped a small object, whose size cannot be denied. That last part I found out 3 years into mine.

Keep a record of any injuries to yourself. Assuming you've been & got yourself checked over. Same as for the bike, any damage, photograph it. Bear in mind bruising can take time to fully "bloom".

Stick to your guns & don't be put off if the driver does change their story, more than once.

classic33

Leg End Member
^ Thus speaks the voice of experience I wish I had done or known about all these things when I got knocked off.
Most of that was learnt as I went along. In that respect I'd say I'm no different to anyone else thats been hit & pursued the case, through civil channels.
If it makes it easier for the next person, then some of what I'd to put up with will have been worthwile. I learned the hard way in some respects & I know there are others on here who could chip in with their own bits of advice.
Never again, if I can help it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

Do I sound like I'm being the peanut you're suggesting I'm acting like?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqGrz-Y_Lc

It is in fact entirely valid.

Top Bottom