If you're involved in a RTC what do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
As the title implies if you are in a RTC what do you do?

1:What details do you need and what can you ask for?
2:What to not say?
3:Will pointing blaim affect the outcome?
4: Do you talk about the incident?
5: Do you report it to the police?
6:At what point do you call the police?
7:For what reasons can you call the police if a RTC occurred?
8:At what point do you call an ambulance?
9:Should you use insurance even if they say they will pay with cash in hand?

If injured, go down, stay down, wait for an ambulance, Johnny Law must attend an RTC involving an ambulance.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I got hit on Tuesday night, luckily I was going slow and so was he. I took his name and telephone number and took a photo of his registration plate. Got the bike back from the LBS and there was no damage apart from a broken spoke (which to be fair to the driver may not have been done by the accident), so as far as I am concerned that is the end of the matter, never reported it but did mention it on here.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
1. License details (name, address etc...), contact details, insurance details (probably won't have it), registration.
2. don't say sorry, admission of guilt.
3. what's done is done, pointing blame will gain nothing at this time, if you go down insurance route, police report will be needed. Take pictures of everything before it was moved.
4. Talk about the weather
5. Depends on the seriousness, if it's a light scruff and no one is injured and no property damage, no point.
6. take a few seconds and think, call them if the driver has left, if you think the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, if there is a language problem or if there is damage to yourself or your bicycle.
8. if you're hurt.
9. depends on how they have been towards you and the costs involved. if it's £20 to get a new light or w/e then what is the point in getting the insurance involved.

The only answer to your question is it depends on the circumstances of each accident.

Looks like another multiple page argument. Don't you just go out on your bike and enjoy it rather than think of every conceivable event that could happen. Your world must be a fun place.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
1. License details (name, address etc...), contact details, insurance details (probably won't have it), registration.
2. don't say sorry, admission of guilt.
3. what's done is done, pointing blame will gain nothing at this time, if you go down insurance route, police report will be needed. Take pictures of everything before it was moved.
4. Talk about the weather
5. Depends on the seriousness, if it's a light scruff and no one is injured and no property damage, no point.
6. take a few seconds and think, call them if the driver has left, if you think the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, if there is a language problem or if there is damage to yourself or your bicycle.
8. if you're hurt.
9. depends on how they have been towards you and the costs involved. if it's £20 to get a new light or w/e then what is the point in getting the insurance involved.
Can you ask for ID to confirm their identity... if they dont do you call the police or just leave it?

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Don't you just go out on your bike and enjoy it rather than think of every conceivable event that could happen. Your world must be a fun place.
I would like to be prepared if something did happen.... I wouldn't want to be put into that sort of situation and not have a clue on what to do... muck it up and then we worse off as some insurance company wont pay or something like that cause i mucked up in the process after the RTC

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There are some useful information stickies in this part of the forum.

Statement Template HERE
There is also the Essential Guide to Commuting HERE Which includes helpful information.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
It was changed a while back, also using the A word has sparked a s***storm lately.
Personally i never use Accident as someone is always at fault, I also feel it diminishes the event.

Thanks,just noticed it on that list.Doh.
Fair enough I know now but surely not all accidents (sic) are collisions?

Top Bottom