Sort some lights out !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

howard2107

Same here keep seeing lots of cyclists well kitted out and on expensive bikes, but neglect to spend a few quid on lights, and riding on some high speed dual carriageways that are bad enough in daylight. As far as i am aware, we are subject to the same rules of the road as others, and lights are compulsory. But a legal requirement or not, anyone with half an ounce of sense would not go out without them.

claudbutler

Same here keep seeing lots of cyclists well kitted out and on expensive bikes, but neglect to spend a few quid on lights, and riding on some high speed dual carriageways that are bad enough in daylight. As far as i am aware, we are subject to the same rules of the road as others, and lights are compulsory. But a legal requirement or not, anyone with half an ounce of sense would not go out without them.
CORRECT .IT IS VERY SIMPLE LIGHT UP AND STAY ALIVE

winjim

Smash the cistern
I wouldn't look right in a Hawaiian shirt.
Hawaiian nappies anyone? :becool:
20150922_190114.jpg

CORRECT .IT IS VERY SIMPLE LIGHT UP AND STAY ALIVE

Shame no-one has told the other road users of this simplistic and nonsensical shouting

Lighting is not a major factor in cyclist deaths, it is the failure of the other vehicle to either look, see what is there, and when they do react appropriately

Anyone who is relying on their lights to keep them safe is dreaming

Lonestar

Veteran
Shame no-one has told the other road users of this simplistic and nonsensical shouting

Lighting is not a major factor in cyclist deaths, it is the failure of the other vehicle to either look, see what is there, and when they do react appropriately

I rarely have problems commuting there/ back during the dark hours like last night.My lights were perfectly adequate.Due to my shift work a lot of my commutes are during these dark hours.

Must admit I see many cyclists with poor or no lights.Shocking.Also selfish.

Last edited:
U

User32269

Which really raises the question of whether there is any point

We have lot of anecdotes of cyclists without lights that have been fine and one highly visible and has problems.....

Any need to be so rude? You think it is unimportant to attempt to make yourself visible of a night? Fine. Wear dark clothing on your unlit bike on badly lit roads. Quote how statistically you had no fault whatsoever while in A &E.
If you don't agree with peoples posts, fine, make a counter point. You basically told me to shut up and called another post nonsense.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think the moral of this thread is, no need for lights if you are cycling wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt, or have I got that wrong? :unsure:
Just remember that those nappies I posted earlier are now, quite literally full of sh!t.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We had a thread about this way back. It is a manufacture of cars seeking to deflect responsibility for the risk their customers bring to the roads from their customers onto the people they put in danger.

That may be so, but i think it's a good product.It's a bit expensive though. Maybe Volvo should sell it at cost price to say/pretend they're doing their bit and the ball is now in the cyclist's court?

Last edited:
Any need to be so rude? You think it is unimportant to attempt to make yourself visible of a night? Fine. Wear dark clothing on your unlit bike on badly lit roads. Quote how statistically you had no fault whatsoever while in A &E.
If you don't agree with peoples posts, fine, make a counter point. You basically told me to shut up and called another post nonsense.

These are counter points.

Shouting that you will be killed if you don't have lights is nonsense, and if pointing that out is "rude" than that is unfortunate, but will not change the fact that it is nonsense

Equally the fact that lighting is not a major factor and relying on it is unsafe and naive is also a valid counterpoint

Most accidents occur where the driver fails to look, see or react...... again it is an unfortunate fact that defensive riding with a good awareness of what is around you will prevent more accidents than lights

Peurile threats of doom, disaster, death and A/E visits are neither factual, realistic or making any real point

Top Bottom