Sort some lights out !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This is how farking ridiculous things have become, reflective stripes for animals just becouse motorists won't take the care they ought to.

image.jpeg

GC

It does get sillier...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Oh but wait a minute. I started a thread on here like this a few days ago and what I learnt was from the posts is that if I run over one of these unlit cyclists, then its my fault. I have lights on my car that I should see them with, or I am driving to fast to stop, regardless where they come from, what they do, or what they are wearing.

After all its not the unlit cyclists responsibility to keep safe, its the drivers responsibility to keep the cyclist safe. Because cars kill cyclists and bikes dont kill drivers.

Figure that one out ^_^

Lonestar

Veteran
Interestingly enough my latest SMIDSY was during the day not during dusk/night.On a clear junction with no obstructions,guess the van driver lost concentration.

Got to agree with an earlier poster,defensive cycling and good awareness are the best counter measures.Hi-Viz and lights doesn't solve everything.

Last edited:
Oh but wait a minute. I started a thread on here like this a few days ago and what I learnt was from the posts is that if I run over one of these unlit cyclists, then its my fault. I have lights on my car that I should see them with, or I am driving to fast to stop, regardless where they come from, what they do, or what they are wearing.

After all its not the unlit cyclists responsibility to keep safe, its the drivers responsibility to keep the cyclist safe. Because cars kill cyclists and bikes dont kill drivers.

Figure that one out ^_^

The other question is why drivers are allowed to leave dark unlit cars littering the streets

Surely these are obstacles that should have lights, and reflectives

Shouldn't we be campaigning for lights on these vehicles?

I see hundreds of unlit cars on the roads (and pavement) every evening

RedRider

Pulling through
@steveindenmark
One dusk some time ago I was stopped at some lights when a taxi driver in a.black cab reversed out of his parking spot and into my rear wheel.
He got out of the cab, saw my lights were lit yet still desperately searching for a way to deflect blame protested that my bicycle was black.*
It doesn't matter what you do or wear they'll still try and blame you.
It doesn't help that cycle forums are full of cyclists excusing motorists for not looking where they're going. "cyclists bring it on themselves" is a dominant narrative (sorry for using that word) that needs to be challenged. That's how I figure it.

*I gave a pointed look towards his cab and he gave me his details, fortunately not needed as no damage was done.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, I'm a big chap bit even the smallest car is many times my size, and all other things being equal many times more conspicuous a a result.

Tim Hall

This is how farking ridiculous things have become, reflective stripes for animals just becouse motorists won't take the care they ought to.

View attachment 105708

GC
The final paragraph is telling:
Rob Steemson, Dartmoor National Park's head ranger, said the authority "fully supports the project to reduce the number of road deaths".

"These horrible incidents would not happen if motorists drove with greater care and anticipated that Dartmoor grazing stock regularly wander on to the roads."

Near Guilford there was an avenue of Canadian Maples in memory of Canadian Servicemen

They had to be removed as despite being mature trees some 3 m from the road they were a "hazard" for motorists

Speaks volumes

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
RedRider. I like to have a balanced discussion and will not throw common sense out of the window just because this is a cycling forum.

What you are describing in your case is an accident not of your making. If the situation was slightly different and you were cycling in the dark without lights and you rode into the side of this taxi, there are many on here who would lay the blame squarely on the taxi for not seeing you and you would be responsible for nothing.

This arguement goes round and round in circles. But I believe, as a cyclist, I am responsible for myself. I am not excusing motorists but I am not naive enough to believe that cyclists are always in the right.

Cunobelin. I am not sure what you mean by " cars littering the streets". Do you mean in streets lit by street lighting?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Recently I have seen:
  • Two cyclists with crap lights, visible due to their amber pedal reflectors.
  • One cyclist with crap lights, visible due to his dark silhouette against the brightly lit road.
  • A car with a single headlamp lit, making it difficult for me to judge its width.
  • A motorcyclist whose headlamp was lost in the background noise, identifiable due to the reflectives on their jacket.
So it's not always about lights. I for one would prefer cyclists to have no lights at all, rather than those overbright flashing poorly aimed dazzlers. Reflectives are where it's at for night time visibility.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Figure that one out ^_^

Yes. It comes to something when an expectation that car drivers should not run people over warrants sarcasm. Which part of the responsibility not to hit people with your car do you struggle with?

Dan B

Disengaged member
We are up against people operating dangerous machinery in public at the limit of their ability to process visual information. It is akin to trying to talk in a crowded noisy pub where it gets louder and louder but no more easy to make out the conversation you are part of.
Oh come on, megaphones are cheap as chips these days and have much improved battery life over the old days . There really is no excuse for going to the pub without one

Top Bottom