South Birmingham and Black Country Social Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
OK, next Saturday is looking good weatherwise. Sun will be making a strong appearance, temperatures will be in the comfortable range, picking up from a chilly night, and the wind will be gentle.

So, your route this time Downward? We'll rotate the leader each time we go out - lifeson did the first, mine was the second, and Downward and Lizard look keen to make their marks, so no shortage of volunteers.

Brakes working and cycle computer fitted, so I'll be a little bit over-excited again.

Downward

Guru
BrumJim said:
OK, next Saturday is looking good weatherwise. Sun will be making a strong appearance, temperatures will be in the comfortable range, picking up from a chilly night, and the wind will be gentle.

So, your route this time Downward? We'll rotate the leader each time we go out - lifeson did the first, mine was the second, and Downward and Lizard look keen to make their marks, so no shortage of volunteers.

Brakes working and cycle computer fitted, so I'll be a little bit over-excited again.

Nice work !
I have changed my saddle height and tilted my bars slightly forward so hopefully will feel a bit better.

Not ridden at all this month so Saturday will be the 1st time for 10 days.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Saturday 10th April Social Ride

OK, invitation again going out to all the regulars plus any new recruits who fancy a good Saturday morning work-out.

Downward will decide the route and starting point, but 8:30 at the Grange Hill roundabout outside Halesowen (just near the Halesowen Cycle Club) looks most probable.

If you either do, or could manage a 6 mile commute and want to try something more, you are welcome. We'll wait for the slowest, but won't be dawdling. We'll leave enough breath for a chat on the way round in various places. It'll be road work, so you won't need a triple or suspension.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I think I may join you. After having to cycle home twice today against that damn headwind (why can't I remember to take everything I need??) a gentle pootle sounds good.

Downward

Guru
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/halesowen/740127005785593359

Just the 1 hill towards the end but I think it's 500 feet of climbing over 1.5 to 2 miles.

Hopefully we can remember the route from Belbroughton to Fairfield, It'll be the same way we went last time but backwards !

Wobblers

Euthermic
Well, my legs are aching gently, I've quaffed innumerable cups of tea and had my fill of bacon rolls... that was a good morning! I have to admit I didn't want to get up this morning when the alarm went off at half seven but I'm glad I did. Hope you've recovered from that last hill (I thought Jim said "straight on", honest!)

Downward

Guru
McWobble said:
Well, my legs are aching gently, I've quaffed innumerable cups of tea and had my fill of bacon rolls... that was a good morning! I have to admit I didn't want to get up this morning when the alarm went off at half seven but I'm glad I did. Hope you've recovered from that last hill (I thought Jim said "straight on", honest!)

The problem was you shot off too quick for either of us to catch you up !!

Proper struggled today even on the short hills. Hopefully next time it'll be better and that I'm just at the tail end of the cold.

Lovely day though even though I had to stop and see why my computer wasn't registering and realised that it wasn't broken but I had forgotten to press start.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Distance - 21 miles
Time taken - 1 hour 34 minutes (ish)
Average speed of 13.4 mile/h approx.

Data on my computer includes trip from home, so is only a rough estimate. You'll need the route web-page to work out climbing, etc.

Stunning weather for a ride - cool, sunny and very clear. Good ride - less hills this time, and more spinning. Disappointed that I didn't quite manage the scalp on the trip up Farley Hill - turned off just as I got on his back wheel, or the look on his face as he got out-climbed by a folding hybrid (that's you, Mr Wobble), but the best bit was the guilt-free trip round Cadbury World and the evening Balti!!

Top Bottom