Spam Phonecalls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I've been stuck at home for a week with a chest infection and, having got thoroughly hacked off with spam phonecalls, have adopted a technique that both keeps my blood pressure under control and wastes their time not mine.

I ask them to hang on a moment while I turn the radio down, then put the receiver next to the speaker and carry on with what i was doing.

Don't know how long they hang on for, but it makes me feel better!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
exactly what I do... let them listen to the TV or what ever I have on the hifi..

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I do something similar. I just say "hold on a sec and I'll get her/him" depending on who they are asking for. Then I lay the phone down and carry on with whatever it was I was doing. My best time is 20 minutes before the phone made that wheeewoooowheeewooo sound that means that the phone is off the hook.:thumbsup:

I've copped on that I'm in the middle of a row and been polite the the person on the phone then said "I bloody hate you too, sod off with your flooozy then" then returned to the call saying 'sorry about that, you were saying?' and then I listen for a while longer then yell "you were crap in bed and I faked all my orgasms" then return to the call. Makes me laugh anyway.
I've told a whole host of my friends my cold-calling game and they all do it too. Cheers up the evening :laugh:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I always say that the bill payer/occupant has recently died.
I once worked in a garden centre and was going through updating orders etc. I rang to advise a customer that an ordered plant was ready, I was told that he'd died the day before.... I couldn't get off the phone quick enough.

Doesn't stop the foreign call centres.

It doesn't work. The spam phonecallers ignore it.
Works for me :becool:

Our house number and private mobile numbers are signed up, as are my parents and other family members and we don't get any TBH :tongue:

I've just got a new work phone and number and I've had a couple on that so far, but I signed that up to TPS a couple of weeks ago and the calls have reduced already ;)

Different strokes and all that.......

Vidor06

Long term loafer
Belfast dialling code is 02890 and Lisburn is 02892. We regularly get calls for a hospital Dept in Lisburn where people have misdialled. As far as I know there is simply nothing we can do about it. Ive been tempted to mess about with the callers as it isnt a clincal hospital Dept but havent done anything yet other than repeatedly say to the caller that I think they may have misdialled, which is usually followed by incredulity.

stephec

Legendary Member
I do something similar. I just say "hold on a sec and I'll get her/him" depending on who they are asking for. Then I lay the phone down and carry on with whatever it was I was doing. My best time is 20 minutes before the phone made that wheeewoooowheeewooo sound that means that the phone is off the hook.:thumbsup:

I've copped on that I'm in the middle of a row and been polite the the person on the phone then said "I bloody hate you too, sod off with your flooozy then" then returned to the call saying 'sorry about that, you were saying?' and then I listen for a while longer then yell "you were crap in bed and I faked all my orgasms" then return to the call. Makes me laugh anyway.
I've told a whole host of my friends my cold-calling game and they all do it too. Cheers up the evening :laugh:

If it's a female voice on the other end you should continue with, "are you married, if not then stay single because they're all bastards, just do what I do and call up a gigolo when you need a bit."

Make sure you tell us what the reply is though, I'd love to hear it. :biggrin:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Belfast dialling code is 02890 and Lisburn is 02892. We regularly get calls for a hospital Dept in Lisburn where people have misdialled. As far as I know there is simply nothing we can do about it. Ive been tempted to mess about with the callers as it isnt a clincal hospital Dept but havent done anything yet other than repeatedly say to the caller that I think they may have misdialled, which is usually followed by incredulity.
We used to get misdialled calls the whole time. People would ring Spode and the middle numbers were 744 but we were 774. Got some very rude people who really wouldn't hear that they had made a mistake. I would hang up on them, sometimes 6 or 7 times in a row. I changed our number in the end as it was really annoying.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You should answer by saying "Boa tarde, você é disléxico?" :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
Works for me :becool:

Our house number and private mobile numbers are signed up, as are my parents and other family members and we don't get any TBH :tongue:

I've just got a new work phone and number and I've had a couple on that so far, but I signed that up to TPS a couple of weeks ago and the calls have reduced already ;)

Different strokes and all that.......

I must be half lucky then, it's reduced the number of calls we get, but some foriegn ones still get through.

The ones who are selling just get hung up on, the windows scammers get the treatment they desreve. :smile:

Top Bottom