Speed limits on cycle paths?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
"checking Facebook" whilst out on a ride? :sad:
Also known as 'trying to stop wheezing after sprinting hard past the Bianchi rider to show off' :biggrin:

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Nah I often check Facebook as I do a lot of work for people via Facebook :smile: I was going an a enrage speed of 23.8 according to my gps down that stretch so nothing excessive but I ALWAYS slow down for padestrians and especially ones with dogs as they tend to run out just as your passing I do have common sense and don't go flat out when people are around. But thanks a lot for the info as I was pretty sure there wasn't a speed limit on those paths

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Nah I often check Facebook as I do a lot of work for people via Facebook :smile: I was going an a enrage speed of 23.8 according to my gps down that stretch so nothing excessive but I ALWAYS slow down for padestrians and especially ones with dogs as they tend to run out just as your passing I do have common sense and don't go flat out when people are around. But thanks a lot for the info as I was pretty sure there wasn't a speed limit on those paths

I don't think that the responses were an endorsement of your speed.

FWIW I'd regard an average speed of 23.8mph as being excessive on a share use leisure path.

Can I clarify a few of the points above....

There are no specific or legally binding speed limits, but there don't need to be as you can be censured for "reckless" or "dangerous" cycling and an inappropriate (in the eyes of the Officer) speed would fit into one of these categories.

Sustrans have a voluntary code for conduct on shared use paths and the "Speed bits" are inferred throughout with courtesy, sense and respect for others as opposed to a specific limit in mph:

The only attempt that I know of to give a figure was way back then the Department for Transoport issued a proposed conduct as an annexe to an "Local Transport Note" in 2004, but in was never actually brought into force.

Again much is couched in common sense terms, but one point is that they do quote a figure at 18mph stating that at this speed you should be on the road!!!!!

Again it is not a speed limit tin the true sense

Overall it comes down to common sense and matching your speed to that of the conditions and environment

Agree 100% with this except for the 18mph but thats a DFT guideline not yours!

I've just taken two of my friends out yesterday (new to bikes) on off road MTB with some road stuff, was really trying to emphasize to them to be courteous on shared use facilities - the ting,ting, wave approach with a bell is brilliant IMO.

The way I see it if I want to get somewhere quickly, I use the roads, if I'm more concerned with just have a nice pootle or time isnt as important I'll use the off road stuff.

18mph though is quite a pace, its about 6x the speed of someone strolling along and really too fast if there are other people about - something more like 10-12 is much more suitable. I will say I'm not averse to putting the hammer down, but as Cuno says its matching the environment so at 0630 when there is no one about yes I'll speed down the path with good visibility, later in the day with more peeps about I'll slow.....

The important thing for me in using shared use facilities is to do so responsibly so we can still use them. The roads are always there for those of us who prefer them but lets not get the rather generous sharing available taken away by misbehaving - thats not aimed at anyone BTW just a general observation.

sidevalve

Über Member
Interesting about the "common sense" bit. Vehicle speed limits were only introduced as drivers couldn't be trusted to maintain a suitable speed for the conditions and I fail to see why cyclists should be very different [sadly there are too many numpties in this world]. The reason why the speed limit was [and I say was] unenforcable was simply that accurate and reliable speedometers were unavailable for bikes - that has now changed and I'm afraid unless we begin to police ourselves then someone WILL begin to do it for us. The tide of regulation may be slow but the dislike of cyclists can only be increased by careless speed. Compulsory speedos, compulsory insurance, compulsory cyclepaths - big brother really is watching.

There are enforced speed limits, but as posted above they are local regulation

Bournemouth is a prime example

There is a 10 mph speed limit on sections of the seafriont path

These are enforced by Poolice with speed cameras

An officer will wield a portable laser speed gun to catch peddlers breaking the limit.

The cyclists will be ordered to stop by the PC, before a council official gives them a stern talking to and a leaflet about the dangers of cycling too fast.

The officials have no powers to punish them with fines or bans as cyclists don't have speedometres and so don't know when they are breaking the speed limit.

On could point out to the Daily Telegraph that tinkers, costermongers, and gipsies shouldn't be on the seafront anyway, but cyclists should

Top Bottom