Sports Personality of the Year 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
Guy Martin :whistle:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
How much public attention does this draw? genuinely curious as I've never watched it and never noticed it being much of a general conversation topic. I recognise the names if it's a sport I follow, or if they're big/household names, but with the latter I would have no idea what they had or hadn't done.

From my perspective, in the peanut gallery as it were, it has always seemed like an industry/media invention with little in the way of links to actual fans....or do they tie in some sort of costly phone in vote now?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm never sure what people mean by that when they're talking about someone they don't know. Like many top sportsmen Hamilton is under pressure from his sponsors to be non controversial, and whenever someone ignores that and does speak his mind suddenly he's an ignorant git.
he's controversial enough when it suits him, which basically when things aren't going his way. That's when he lies, sulks, accuses others.of cheating or claims he's been unfairly.treated because of his skin colour.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How much public attention does this draw? genuinely curious as I've never watched it and never noticed it being much of a general conversation topic. I recognise the names if it's a sport I follow, or if they're big/household names, but with the latter I would have no idea what they had or hadn't done.

From my perspective, in the peanut gallery as it were, it has always seemed like an industry/media invention with little in the way of links to actual fans....or do they tie in some sort of costly phone in vote now?
It's a five minute wonder. I doubt if more than 5% of the population could name last years winner. I follow sport and I can't.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's a five minute wonder. I doubt if more than 5% of the population could name last years winner. I follow sport and I can't.
Really, you follow sport and have forgotten that Andy Murray won Wimbledon in 2013?

Anyway the nominations have been made.
Interesting to see Wiggins TT World Camps doesnt get him a nomination. Looks like a strong line up this year. It's a toss up between Hamilton and McIlroy IMO, but Jo Pavey a plucky 3rd.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/30158881

AndyRM

XOXO
he's controversial enough when it suits him, which basically when things aren't going his way. That's when he lies, sulks, accuses others.of cheating or claims he's been unfairly.treated because of his skin colour.

When has he claimed that? Admittedly I don't follow F1 as closely as I used to, but I don't think he's ever pulled the skin colour card.

The last three winners, Murray, Wiggins and Cavendish all have a lot of whatever 'personality' might be, they're certainly memorable in their own ways.

I wonder if Bale might be in with a chance? I'd go for him over McIlroy.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I wonder if Bale might be in with a chance? I'd go for him over McIlroy.
would you? Mcilroy is undisputedly the best in the world at what he does at the moment. Bale is probably 4th or 5th best maybe?
The only time I can remember Hamilton getting upset about racism issues was when the Spanish fans blacked-up during preseason testing, apart from that he come across to me as quite a down to earth guy, in as much as an F1 driver can be down to earth.

AndyRM

XOXO
would you? Mcilroy is undisputedly the best in the world at what he does at the moment. Bale is probably 4th or 5th best maybe?
The only time I can remember Hamilton getting upset about racism issues was when the Spanish fans blacked-up during preseason testing, apart from that he come across to me as quite a down to earth guy, in as much as an F1 driver can be down to earth.

Do they take into account how good you are at your game? If so, then yeah, McIlroy would beat Bale, but if it's on personality alone I find Bale a more likeable chap, despite that stupid heart thing he does when he scores.

As a vague aside I'd rank him third best at kicking a ball, behind CR7 and Messi. Who would you have knocking him down to fifth? Pirlo and Zlatan?

I'd forgotten about that sorry incident with Hamilton. Ecclestone didn't come out of that looking great either IIRC, but then he rarely does.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As a vague aside I'd rank him third best at kicking a ball, behind CR7 and Messi. Who would you have knocking him down to fifth? Pirlo and Zlatan?
Suarez? and he has personality?
But it has never been about personaility, it has been about achievement, the award is badly worded from a byegone era.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I'd forgotten about that sorry incident with Hamilton. Ecclestone didn't come out of that looking great either IIRC, but then he rarely does.
and here is the photo for anyone who isnt aware of it.
are we surprised that he got a bit annoyed?
article-1083606-002178E300000578-16_468x286.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
Suarez? and he has personality?
But it has never been about personaility, it has been about achievement, the award is badly worded from a byegone era.

Suarez is a good shout, I had forgotten about him. Mostly because I have zero interest in the fortunes of Barcelona.

Fair point on the naming of the award. In that case my vote would be for Ricky Lambert. From beetroots to the premier league is a pretty remarkable upturn in fortunes.

Top Bottom