Sun 14th, 50-60 hilly miles from Hebden Bridge/Todmorden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bromptonfb said:
sorry but i thought i was free because burnley had played wednesday but they play today as well and i have to pick up my daughter up between 2 and 3am. so i am out as i will be too tired with a few hours sleep.
That's a pity, but catch you next time Shaun.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
bit gutted really. just put on my double chainring for climbing. i was in the garage just fettling the brommie up when my daughter came in and asked me for a lift to work. good for her (double shift) financially bad for me, no sleep.

Calum

Ok, i'm not drunk, the bike's ready for action and my kit's drying on the radiator. I'll be there! Meeting Bokonon at Leeds station at 8am.

See you in the morning guys! We'll try not to be too late in getting to the start point.

colly

Re member eR
Have a good time you lot.
I went out today seeing as how I'll be missing out tomorrow. 50 miles out from Harrogate. Felt like 100 by the time I got back.:biggrin:

aJohnson

Yeah, it'll be longest this year (Matter of fact, ever I think, I've done a 74miler but didn't get it to 75). Done a few 50milers this year but mainly spent most of my cycling time on trainer do the winter weather and after I fell.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i've did a similar route you are doing tomorrow, last year, but i added in the cragg vale climb. it is a hard ride but not as hard as it should be for some reason. the 'beast' from oxenhope i thought was the hardest climb, i did have a gusty headwind that day. i used my brommie and managed an average of 10 mph not including breaks (no cafe stops, just my flask). just be careful of 'sunday drivers' on the part from laneshawbridge, there is a lot of narrow blind uphill corners. enjoy

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Goodspeed has just PMd me. He will join us for the ride as far as Oxenhope which is where he lives.

See you in the morning.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

bromptonfb said:
just be careful of 'sunday drivers' on the part from laneshawbridge, there is a lot of narrow blind uphill corners. enjoy
I'm going to make a point of saying that on the ride!

PaulB got knocked off his bike on that stretch of road last year when he was riding out to join Goodspeed and yours truly for a ride. The old biddy that did it was so doddery that she wouldn't admit that she'd done it even when a witness had forced her to stop and she was being berated by him, her husband and Paul!

I was riding in the opposite direction once, descending very quickly from the former Herders pub when a 'Sunday driver' came round one of those bends on my side of the road towards me! I just managed to squeeze between the car and a dry stone wall - scary!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
it is a nice road tho. fyi the 'silent inn' is an excellent pub and does brilliant steak n ale pie. easy to keep your eyes on the bikes as well. they bar n cafe style food as well as tea n coffee

aJohnson

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do this now. My right upper arm has been hurting for a few days now, must have pulled something, and hurts a fair bit when I put pressure on it. I'll check in an hour though and see if I'll be able to ride >:biggrin:

trio25

Über Member
So tired, getting home at 1am and then getting up at this time is hard. But time for porridge then putting bike together then out.

Let me know what you decide AJ

aJohnson

I wont be going unfortunately. Attached the bike to the turbo to see how my arm feels but it hurts when I put pressure on it, so I'm assuming it'll hurt alot more on steep hills. Sorry and I hope you all have a great ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

trio25 said:
So tired, getting home at 1am and then getting up at this time is hard. But time for porridge then putting bike together then out.
I went to bed about 01:00 too and made the mistake of starting to think about money-making schemes for CycleChat (for Shaun, that is, not for me!) I ended up lying in bed with all sorts of calculations running through my mind. I'm not sure how much sleep I actually got - it doesn't feel like much! I normally feel okay once I've started riding but I'll be tired tonight.

I'm just having my porridge now. I'm not hungry but it needs to be done or I won't last as far as the cafe.

aJohnson said:
I wont be going unfortunately. Attached the bike to the turbo to see how my arm feels but it hurts when I put pressure on it, so I'm assuming it'll hurt alot more on steep hills. Sorry and I hope you all have a great ride.
(Takes arm warmers back out of bag...) Sorry to hear that aJ but you've done the right thing. You would be pulling very hard on the bars on the steep stuff. I hope it gets better soon.

Top Bottom