Sun 14th, 50-60 hilly miles from Hebden Bridge/Todmorden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
a bloke on moulton held (might still do) the world record for unassisted top speed. they are banned from racing. i was going to get a moulton tsr but the brommie fold was more practical for me. i will be buying one tho, probably next year as i want a drop bar tsr and need to save and persuade the wife n+1 is ok.

edit: double pylon stainless steel moultons are approx £14,000!!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, they were Moultons and they certainly went well up the hills. In fact their small wheels seemed to make zig-zagging very easy because Phil and Clare had it down to a fine art. It wasn't so easy doing it on my Basso but the worst gradients had me doing it a few times.

I asked Phil about climbing and he said that the only catch with the Moultons was that standing up to climb wasn't good. I imagine that it's probably because of the suspension.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
What Colin said. Erm, what Colin said I said. Or something.

Moultons were used quite successfully for racing in the 1960s. Particularly in team track events, where the small wheels meant the riders could draft each other very closely.... and then the UCI decided they weren't bikes.

They accelerate very quickly, too, because there's less flywheel effect with small wheels.

Any disadvantage there might be with small wheels on an unsuspended bike is removed by the suspension. Instead of the whole bike and rider moving up and down over a bump in the road, the suspended parts jiggle up and down with the rest of the bike and rider moves smoothly and horizontally. As long as those little tyres are kept pumped rock hard, it's just as quick as a 700-wheeled bike, but a lot more comfortable.

They do repay a smooth pedalling action (my months commuting on a fixie help a bit, I think). In the last resort you can honk up a hill, but the front suspension bobs big time, so you'd rather sit and pedal all the way round.

Ours are both 1980s-era AM7s, updated with modern-ish components. They cost a fair bit less than a TSR, and a whole lot less than a New Series or Double Pylon!

If you want to try one, come on over to York-ish. You'll be welcome. Or phone Shaun Moulton at Bradford on Avon and book a test ride. You'll be able to ride all the current Moultons around the test track there, and/or take one out for a day's ride.

PaulB

Legendary Member
D'you know, it's so annoying reading this thread and seeing the pictures. So annoying because I wasn't able to do it and it looks great!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Uncle Phil said:
They do repay a smooth pedalling action (my months commuting on a fixie help a bit, I think). In the last resort you can honk up a hill, but the front suspension bobs big time, so you'd rather sit and pedal all the way round.
On the climbs (when I was close enough behind you) it struck me what a good smooth pedal stroke you have. I tend to slip into a 'pedalling squares' style when the going gets tough but it always feels better to 'pedal in circles' when I remember to do it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
D'you know, it's so annoying reading this thread and seeing the pictures. So annoying because I wasn't able to do it and it looks great!
Paul - I told Alun that I'd organise another weekend ride before Spring Into The Dales (18th April) so see how your recovery progresses and come along if you feel ready for it.

I'll devise a route with a 30 (-ish) mile loop followed by a 20 (-ish) miler so you could just do the first loop if you felt like it. We could go to the Italian cafe next to the car park in Hebden Bridge after the first loop. They have a couple of tables out the back with views over the river.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ColinJ said:
On the climbs (when I was close enough behind you) it struck me what a good smooth pedal stroke you have. I tend to slip into a 'pedalling squares' style when the going gets tough but it always feels better to 'pedal in circles' when I remember to do it.

when the going gets tough my pedaling style looks suspiciously like walking.:smile:

Alun

Guru
What was the total climbing for that ride Colin?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alun said:
What was the total climbing for that ride Colin?
Memory Map made it 2,000 metres but usually exaggerates. I can see 1,600 metres on the profile just on the main climbs so if we split the difference we won't be far out. Therefore 1,800 m or 6,000 ft. I thought it felt a bit lumpy! :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
Glad I left when I did then, was Will first up everything?

I did think the Moultons had fantastic paint-jobs :becool:

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Paul - I told Alun that I'd organise another weekend ride before Spring Into The Dales (18th April) so see how your recovery progresses and come along if you feel ready for it.

I'll devise a route with a 30 (-ish) mile loop followed by a 20 (-ish) miler so you could just do the first loop if you felt like it. We could go to the Italian cafe next to the car park in Hebden Bridge after the first loop. They have a couple of tables out the back with views over the river.

I'd love to do that. I'm signed off work until at least I have my driving licence re-introduced so I do have a lot of spare time and got another ride in today so I am heading in the right direction and did 18 miles but with only 546 feet of climb so I will really look forward to being on your pre-SITD ride (I'd love to do that one as well - it was superb last year!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
That's one of those great mysteries of life! I often wonder what you guys get up to while I'm still climbing up a hill that you got to the summit of 5 minutes ago. Probably having meaningful discussions about politics, or last night's episode of Corrie... The short answer is that all I know about Will's climbing is that he often starts off behind me, and when he gets bored of that he goes past me at warp speed, disappears from sight and then I bump into him later on at the top of the hill! :smile:

longers said:
I did think the Moultons had fantastic paint-jobs :ohmy:
I liked them too!

PaulB said:
I'd love to do that. I'm signed off work until at least I have my driving licence re-introduced so I do have a lot of spare time and got another ride in today so I am heading in the right direction and did 18 miles but with only 546 feet of climb so I will really look forward to being on your pre-SITD ride (I'd love to do that one as well - it was superb last year!)
Great stuff - I'll organise something for the 1st or 2nd weekend in April to give you time to get some more miles in.

Calum

Yeah Will was first up all the hills. I tried to keep up with him a few times but failed miserably!

I'm up for the Dales ride on the 18th of April. That's the week after I come back up from Bristol after the Easter break. See everyone again soon hopefully, Sunday was awesome, my legs have only just stopped aching though!!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
longers said:

He had a faintly annoying habit of lurking at the back, then wafting past everyone in a high-ish gear with no visible effort.

I did think the Moultons had fantastic paint-jobs :biggrin:

Argos Cycles' best work. Sparkly paint does look good on all those thin tubes.

Paul Villiers (Moulton dealer) says he looks at his during the cafe stop on a ride and can't decide whether it's better to look at or to ride.

Top Bottom