England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cannot be compared to the South Circular. At all.
glock_1.jpg

There's a shotgun version too.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I seem to be awake. I believe I have a working bike. If this understanding goes unchallenged, I'll be at HPC for 0930.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Oof. Back home. Thanks Dave for a top flight excursion to Hendon and for the refreshments at Ally Pally. My legs pretty much gave up as I climbed back past the Horniman. I look forward to hearing from Mice.

Here are two of the less awful shots of our fleeting visitor.

Attachments

• spitfire1.jpg
    spitfire1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 45
  • spitfire2.jpg
    spitfire2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 46
  • ice cool in alexandra palace.jpg
    ice cool in alexandra palace.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 45

arallsopp

Great ride, folks. Good to catch up with you all again. Mark, I have never seen *that* bike so dirty. Think upon your sins, young man.

Dave. Thanks for the ride leadership, the route, finding us a Merlin engine to listen to, the coffee and two fingers:smile:

Paul. Good catching up. Thanks for bringing the lens that I should've, and for the company. Hope your daughter gets the bug.

Mice. Sorry you didn't get the full value package. Was great to see you and your Woodrup. Hope all ailments are temporary and solve able.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Great ride, folks. Good to catch up with you all again. Mark, I have never seen *that* bike so dirty. Think upon your sins, young man.

Dave. Thanks for the ride leadership, the route, finding us a Merlin engine to listen to, the coffee and two fingers:smile:

Paul. Good catching up. Thanks for bringing the lens that I should've, and for the company. Hope your daughter gets the bug.

Mice. Sorry you didn't get the full value package. Was great to see you and your Woodrup. Hope all ailments are temporary and solve able.

My apolagies for the bike have been mega busy. Just glad Ian wasn't there ! Anyway Jesus in a dress :laugh:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Sorry for the poor quality video I'm a technophobe. This Merlin engine at full chatter (if it was) was a joy to behold the ground was shaking at an alarming rate.

The beast fly past a beautiful machine..

Amazing day out thanks for the company and the route planning. And thanks to the vanishing Mice for letting me astride her Woodrup a lovely machine.

Last edited:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
What a great day, we were having such a great time catching up we almost forgot to go for a ride. Traffic light sunday every light was red.A pit stop at Regents park and we were off to Ally Pally, we lost one at Camden so returned to Regents pk no joy. So up to the Pally for the view and coffee (on the way we passed Doctor Whos' Tardis ) then onto Hendon.

Now the RAF museum London (the last time I was there 45 years ago) is an amazing place to visit and it's free, we had a brief look in one of the hanger bays then a short wait for the Spitfire then a demo of the Merlin engine ( when the pilot was revving the engine he changed gear? and his cap and ear muffs shot off his head).
Echo Alpha Tango = food. Andy Mark and Paul thanks was a pleasure IMG_5797.JPG

arallsopp

Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about engines and the follow is pure assumption.

when the pilot was revving the engine he changed gear? and his cap and ear muffs shot off his head).

I don't think he was changing gear. I think he was closing the throttle. Spitfires ran with supercharged V12s, and when you come off the throttle, I guess you've got to do something with the boost pressure. Probably an equivalent to the dump valve on turbocharged hot hatches. Only instead of making a 2 fast 2 furious 'psshhhhhttt' sound when you lift your right foot, the 27 litre merlin simply removes your hat and ear defenders.

You could see the exhaust gases vent over the top of the engine whenever he did it, so there was definitely some sort of release going on. (And I say this regarding an engine that throws out sufficient exhaust volumes in normal operation to make it worth fitting rear facing ejectors on the flanks of the spit.)

SLR afficionados will know of @topcat1 and his penchant for Rapha and 'upsidedownery'. Well, yesterday I received a text from the good warrior to say that he was "on the medicinal rum"...hmmm. He obviously didnt fall off the back of his bike, otherwise there would be evidence but... GWS Dave. At least it hasnt spoiled your looks.
IMG_20150415_2030416881.jpg

Any update on this gratefully received - tried calling this morning, so hope you're resting, friend. :okay:

Top Bottom