Suspended sentence for Bristol driver who punched cyclist unconscious

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-63134820

Passed the "threshold" for a custodial sentence but it was suspended so Jack Rawlins is free to drive around the roads of Bristol, just waiting for something to trigger another explosion of violence.

The omission of any mention of a driving ban or points is baffling to me. EDIT: see further down, there's a two year ban after all

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Are you a Daily Fail reporter? " just waiting for something to trigger another explosion of violence."

Has there been other instances of violence by this person, does he have a history of it? Not condoning what he did as I don't know what he did, but also explain what good a custodial sentence would have done? The prison route does not work, lock em up is not the answer.

Mo1959

Legendary Member

Passed the "threshold" for a custodial sentence but it was suspended so Jack Rawlins is free to drive around the roads of Bristol, just waiting for something to trigger another explosion of violence.

The omission of any mention of a driving ban or points is baffling to me.

Second anger management course. Are they waiting on him killing someone before taking stronger action? :sad:

Alex321

Veteran

The omission of any mention of a driving ban or points is baffling to me.

He will certainly have received points as a minimum, since he plead guilty to dangerous driving - probably no ban, as it would lose him his job. The article just doesn't mention that.

Alex321

Veteran
Are you a Daily Fail reporter? " just waiting for something to trigger another explosion of violence."

Has there been other instances of violence by this person, does he have a history of it? Not condoning what he did as I don't know what he did, but also explain what good a custodial sentence would have done? The prison route does not work, lock em up is not the answer.

He had a previous caution for attacking a cyclist. So yes, he does have a history.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

Yes, if you read the report, he has history - a caution for assaulting a cyclist in the past, and a history of anger management problems.

I agree that suspending the custodial sentence may be appropriate in this case, but a driving penalty certainly should be.

My clients who have done jail time generally say they prefer custodial sentences because they know the police have an eye on them and are just waiting for a chance to nick them; one slip and they're in jail anyway, possibly for longer.

Anger management 'training' as a teenager (no reason given as to 'why'), and a previous caution for a similar offence on a cyclist (date not given) ... is that sufficient to be classifies as 'having a history of it'?
In my view it does, and although we know that the prison route rarely works, do you not think that other road users need some degree of protection from this violent idiot?
Does 'anger management training' work? In this case it clearly didn't have a lasting effect - let's hope the new anger management course he's been ordered to take works better than the first one he had.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Top Bottom