Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
...and still they're doing it, after 4 months:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26910&p=654878#p654874
The local Council can't do much, because the road is owned by VicRoads (the state roads body), and VicRoads don't seem to care much about the problem. The local Police have tried to find the culprits, but it's not an easy task, because these people are probably throwing the tacks, nails, glass, etc. when nobody is around to witness them, and clearly it's been successful for them so far :angry:.

This road used to be part of my commute, and I enjoyed it due to the nice scenery and low motor traffic, but I've avoided it for 4 months now :sad:.

Ganymede

Veteran
Really sorry to hear that victor. You need 24hr surveillance! Can't believe the state roads people would ignore something like that.

Ganymede

Veteran
A guy on that forum says he's picked up 3400 tacks!
I'd be tempted to empty them all over the inside of the police station. Maybe split half-and-half with VicRoads, though from what I see on that forum, VicRoads is engaging with the protest, even though they don't seem to be doing anything.

Reactions: _aD

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'd be trying like hell to Sherlock this, stake outs, hidden cameras. probably it's not practical though.

re the source of the carpet tacks probably buying them online or is in the business, worth trying though.

Mile195

Veteran
That's nasty. Really nasty. For the cyclists it's an irritation. For the dog that picks one up in a paw it's cruel and painful, and for the child that runs down there in thin soled shoes it's an infection risk.
Nice that the police sympathise, but that isn't going to stop some kid picking up tetanus.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Guess what happens when you spread tacks and nasty metal shards all over the parking-cum-cycling lane? Cyclists move to the general-transit lane next to it! So now the tack-strewing idiot has just made the road less convenient for motorists, because the cyclists are now riding further out from the kerb! :evil:
See the comments near the end of this thread: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=73354&p=1152248#p1152248

And yes, the tacks are still being thrown, 5 months after it started, and no end in sight, as the culprit hasn't been caught yet.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Well, full marks for persistence to the scum that keeps throwing tacks onto this road, because they're still appearing, just over 8 months since they started :angry:. What a selfish moron.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Well full marks for persistence to the scum that keeps throwing tacks onto this road, because they're still appearing, just over 8 months since they started :angry:. What a selfish moron.
Another question there for you. What steps have the police taken on this matter?

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Another question there for you. What steps have the police taken on this matter?
Not a great deal, as far as I can tell. They've asked the public to give any information, of course, but I doubt very much they've donated much resources to this. It's very difficult to catch the culprit, because the tacks are most likely being thrown during quiet times, and when nobody appears to be looking.

Ganymede

Veteran
Not a great deal, as far as I can tell. They've asked the public to give any information, of course, but I doubt very much they've donated much resources to this. It's very difficult to catch the culprit, because the tacks are most likely being thrown during quiet times, and when nobody appears to be looking.
Cripes, Victor, this is astonishing. How can they still be doing it and still get away with it??? Why haven't they just rigged up a bit of covert CCTV? Well, obviously you are probably asking the same questions. Sorry to hear it's still going on.

Top Bottom