Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I think the broader question is are these incidents in some way engendered by the prevailing social attitudes, articles in the press and lack of action by those in authority?

He's may be a serial killer, but he's targeting a section of society and using a specific weapon, he's carrying out the "fantasy" I see written in the comments sections of newspaper articles about cyclists or cycling. If the tack guy kills a cyclist and its just good luck and down to the guys who post the warnings and spent the time clearing them away that thankfully no-one had, is he any less culpable for the death of that cyclist than this guy?

The fact that he burnt out the car is darkly amusing, it proves he knew what he did however given the outcome of some investigations into cycling road deaths he could probably have gone to the police station claimed the sun was in his eyes or something and got away with a fine or a small driving ban or even no action at all.

Last edited:
The cycling advocate is on a hiding to nothing, he's got to downplay it and try to calm down what seems to be a febrile atmosphere, he's got to strike a balance between saying cycling is safe with saying it's safe but watch out for the objects scattered to make you crash and the lumps of metal deliberately driven at you.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think the broader question is are these incidents in some way engendered by the prevailing social attitudes, articles in the press and lack of action by those in authority?

He's may be a serial killer, but he's targeting a section of society and using a specific weapon, he's carrying out the "fantasy" I see written in the comments sections of newspaper articles about cyclists or cycling. If the tack guy kills a cyclist and its just good luck and down to the guys who post the warnings and spent the time clearing them away that thankfully no-one had, is he any less culpable for the death of that cyclist than this guy?

The fact that he burnt out the car is darkly amusing, it proves he knew what he did however given the outcome of some investigations into cycling road deaths he could probably have gone to the police station claimed the sun was in his eyes or something and got away with a fine or a small driving ban or even no action at all.
The tacks and other objects thrown into the road, appear to have been done by more than one person. Over a period of more than a year.
When authorities tried to help, by providing fixing stations. These stations were then targeted.

classic33

Leg End Member
They got someone and prosecuted them?
Unable to follow the link at present.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
They got someone and prosecuted them?
Unable to follow the link at present.
No prosecutions unfortunately, but there was a 24-hour protest ride that ran from 7am Sunday to 7am yesterday. Again, they chose a time that would not inconvenience anyone (particularly since yesterday was a public holiday here - apparently the Queen was having another 'birthday'). I still think they should do it during peak commuting time on a weekday, otherwise nobody will notice.

Here's a bit of info about the ride, and there are some more comments on the Strava page that is linked:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26910&p=669724#p669724

classic33

Leg End Member
It's just reached the mainstream media (after almost 3 months :rolleyes:):
Melbourne's Herald Sun (aka Feral Hun, due to its anti-cyclist stance and generally tabloid style aimed at bogans) article.

This is the discussion thread that's been running since the tacks first appeared:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26910

In late February, one of the Australian cycling forums reported that a large number of tacks had been strewn along the parking lane (which generally also serves as a cycling lane, although it's not mandatory for cyclists to use) in Yarra Boulevard, a scenic road winding its way through Yarra Bend Park in the suburb of Kew, inner Melbourne. I then decided to stop using this road as part of my commute, even though I did enjoy riding along it, because I didn't want to be replacing tubes at least once per week. I've found an alternative route which is pleasant enough and avoids the worst of the main roads.

Three months later, the tacks are still being thrown onto this road, along with triangular shards of metal or glass! :angry: Whoever's doing it has a serious grudge against cyclists. There are the occasional groups of cyclists who ride along this road in the early morning on weekends who apparently can get a bit noisy when chatting amongst themselves, but it certainly doesn't justify putting tacks on the road.

This has already caused at least one cyclist to crash, after his front tube suddenly deflated and he lost control. Apparently, a few motorcyclists have had flats caused by the tacks, and there was a report on the cycling fora of a motorist with a flat tyre also.

Do you get anything like this in the UK?
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-hatred-what-have-people-got-against-cyclists

Although the fishing line/wire is an old one in some parts

Top Bottom