Taking a bike on a National Express coach

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

After ruling out planes trains and automobiles due to them being ridiculously expensive, I've decided to get the bus to London. I'm going to be taking my bike with me but it might be a bit more complicated than I first thought.

National Express says on their website:

You can take your bicycle on your National Express journey, as long as it is designed to fold in half by means of a special link in the main frame and is carried in a proper protective carrying case.

On Eurolines services folding bikes are permitted on journeys to and from Amsterdam, Paris and Ireland, again they must be appropriately packed in either a padded bag or hard case.

Bicycles which are not correctly packed may be refused carriage, for luggage allowance purposes bikes will be considered as being equal to one suitcase.

Does this mean that you can take a full size bike on the coach as long as it's packaged correctly? Help is appreciated, I'm confused :wacko:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

[QUOTE 2533932, member: 45"]I knew a driver who worked for NE. He said there's loads of room for a bike and any reasonable driver would just let you on. You're taking the risk of being turned down though.[/quote]

Can't risk that! Going to be booking in advance so being turned down on the day would pretty much ruin my plans.

classic33

Leg End Member
I took a full size bike on a National Express Eurolines service, in a homemade bikebag. Oneway trip for the bike. Both wheels removed, pedals & handlebars removed, but taped in place on the frame. Pedals in a bag within the bike bag.
Bubblewrap used round the frame & all bolt ends. No problems with the driver. Rucksack also carried in the Luggage bay on the coach. A lot can come down to the driver.
Alternate means would be to get a box from your local bike shop, pack it in that & securely fasten it shut.
Whatever means yo decide on, mark the container as "leave nothing on top" & try to fasten it in the luggage bay so that it remains upright.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I took a full size bike on a National Express Eurolines service, in a homemade bikebag. Oneway trip for the bike. Both wheels removed, pedals & handlebars removed, but taped in place on the frame. Pedals in a bag within the bike bag.
Bubblewrap used round the frame & all bolt ends. No problems with the driver. Rucksack also carried in the Luggage bay on the coach. A lot can come down to the driver.
Alternate means would be to get a box from your local bike shop, pack it in that & securely fasten it shut.
Whatever means yo decide on, mark the container as "leave nothing on top" & try to fasten it in the luggage bay so that it remains upright.

I've asked my LBS if I can have a box to put my bike in and I've been told to wrap the bike in foam tubing + lots of bubble wrap.

Night Train

Maker of Things
After ruling out planes trains and automobiles due to them being ridiculously expensive, I've decided to get the bus to London. I'm going to be taking my bike with me but it might be a bit more complicated than I first thought.

National Express says on their website:

You can take your bicycle on your National Express journey, as long as it is designed to fold in half by means of a special link in the main frame and is carried in a proper protective carrying case.

On Eurolines services folding bikes are permitted on journeys to and from Amsterdam, Paris and Ireland, again they must be appropriately packed in either a padded bag or hard case.

Bicycles which are not correctly packed may be refused carriage, for luggage allowance purposes bikes will be considered as being equal to one suitcase.

Does this mean that you can take a full size bike on the coach as long as it's packaged correctly? Help is appreciated, I'm confused :wacko:
Well, the first paragraph says "...as long as it is designed to fold in half..."

The second paragraph says "...folding bikes are permitted..."

I guess that means that they are only really looking at folding bikes, being packaged in a suitcase sized bag, and a non folding bike would risk being refused.

I wouldn't like to risk being refused booked travel for looking for alternative meanings in their rules.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I would choose the train for convenience of taking a bike, have you thoroughly researched the train prices? Try www.redspottedhanky.com , sometimes it can be much cheaper to take an earlier or later train. Or consider a bargain berth on the Caledonian Sleeper train.

The train was going to be around £180 but the bus was only £60

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I seem to remember finding that Brighton to Aberdeen was prohibitively expensive by train. I assumed it was the due to the bit in Scotland in order to repel folk from Englandshire, but other explanations are possible. Maybe. But probably.

Keith Oates

Janner
I brought a full size bike, that had been packed by the LBS in a box, on the bus from Heathrow to Cardiff and there was no trouble. The box went into the cargo hold easily and I arranged it so that it was standing and no other luggage could be put on top of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As Night Train says, the wording quoted seems pretty unambiguous: " as long as it is designed to fold in half by means of a special link in the main frame"

So basically, you're at the mercy of the individual driver, whether you like it or not. Chances are, you'll have no problem, so long as you wrap it properly and don't take the p, but if the driver happens to be a cycle-hater or just doesn't like the cut 'o your jib, you'll have no recourse. He's within his rights to say no, and that's that. It's a risk you take. Or, as others have suggested, do a bit more homework on trains. It's amazing how the fares can vary. I was thinking of going up to York to pick up an ebay bike - most tickets from London were north of £100, but if I was prepared to take this specific train there and this one back, I could do it for about £30.

Top Bottom