Tapatalk Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
@Shaun I have just received this email back from Tapatalk:

Hi Phil

In our conversation with Forum Owners, we have said that we are testing displaying ads/receiving revenue from Tapatalk . We can turn off the advertising, and advertising will remain turned off unless the Forum Owner makes a request to turn ads back on.

If you have the admin from that forum contact me, I can turn off advertising in the forum. I just need the name of the forum.

Thanks for your email, and I hope we can resolve this issue.

Eric
Frankly I don't believe them, especially when Shaun asked about this on the Tapatalk forums and they deleted his threads twice and have failed to respond to why they did this. Why delete threads enquiring about switching off adverts unless you don't want forum owners to do this?!

As I said in my previous post, adverts are just one issue (to me at least). Forum security is another issue and there's now two issues that have come up regarding Tapatalk. At the end of the day, security comes first.

Shaun

Founder
Thanks Phil - I'm aware of Eric's contact details, and the promise (which has twice been deleted from their own support forums) but there's more to it than just the ads; stuff I've deliberately left out of the announcement and that I don't want to go into publicly.

Please trust me to put CC's best interests at heart.

Thanks,
Shaun :biggrin:

[QUOTE 2702098, member: 45"]I've had tapatalk for a few years. I've never got it. Tried it several times now on all the phones and devices I've had and always done better with a browser.[/quote]
+1 I've used Tapatalk on various devices but TBH I just prefer to use the browser version, and I don't even use the mobile browser version either and I've never had any issues doing this, go figure.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
How do you figure it doesn't affect me? You have no idea what apps are installed on my phone.

No amount of waaaa I can't use CC now so I'm leaving will change the fact it's became a cruddy non viable add-on. Get used to it, or vote with your feet and leave.

I purchased Tapatalk to access CC when I'm on the road. The App is not as good as I expected but it makes a difference when using a poor network.

I'm lucky that I have a phone with a huge screen 5.5" so I'm not complaining about how good I can see the site on my phone, however, there is a very noticeable difference in performance.

From my point of view Tapatalk offers a better performance on slow networks and make it easier posting pictures.

I would like Tapatalk to stay but I can also fully understand Shaun's arguments so I support his decision. Having said that, I respect other people's point of view.

@T.M.H.N.E.T, I've come across you in the past and you are still a very dislikeable person. Thank god there is an ignore list cause I can't stand reading another post from you.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2702098, member: 45"]I've jad tapatalk for a few years. I've never got it. Tried it several times now on all the phones and devices I've had and always done better with a browser.[/quote]
^ this, pretty much.

Except for the jad. Damn those typos.

Davidc

Guru
Like others I've used Tapatalk free and find the mobile site on a browser better for CC

I'm also a mod on another much smaller forum and have just agreed to doing what Shaun's done, for the same reasons.

Forum's can't be dictated to by the owners of an app, and certainly can't be effectively forced to endorse someone else's adverts. Shaun is right to take this stand and we should support him. He's protecting the integrity of the forum.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I fully understand Shaun's reasons for doing this and know he has the forum's best interests at heart, up until a few weeks ago I was praising the new mobile site and was blissfully unaware of Tapatalk anyway.

I'm sure the problems with the editor will be sorted soon and I can get back to mithering everyone as much as usual :thumbsup:

I found it was a bit crap trying to reply on my phone, but then I turned off the Rich Text option and it's better now. No smilies though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I found it was a bit crap trying to reply on my phone, but then I turned off the Rich Text option and it's better now. No smilies though.
Does that make you feel :sad:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I'm a Tapatalk user, I love it as it's convenient but I'd have removed support long before now.

Whilst it's a handy utility they have repeatedly proved themselves to be untrustworthy. Their actions regards "advertising" and the "recent" redirection of data to their servers has felt very wrong never mind the frequency of security related site breaking faults. They remove features from paid apps, they have no care for their customers so long as they have money. 6 months ago it would have been a hard decision but with the new responsive site interface it's a no brainer.

Abs

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've tried the mobile site again today, and it's slow and hard to use and offers none of the integration into the android UI regarding responses to posts, I like knowing when someone has replied or quoted a message by the alert tone triggered on the mobile, if there is a way to retain at least that much functionality then that would be useful, although I fully understand the reasons mentioned by Shaun and others, I've removed tapatalk from my mobile and will now try to find a mobile browser that works well with CC.

I try to avoid using a browser on my mobile as much as possible, preferring to use dedicated apps that are usually so much more usable than trying to recreate the desktop pc experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom