Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just done the Tissington trail nice route @Asa Post...after uninstalling bsim and using an old setup file...which seemed to respond better

Hi what version are you running now burndust?

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Just done the Tissington trail nice route @Asa Post...after uninstalling bsim and using an old setup file...which seemed to respond better
Thanks.
When I did it on BSim, I didn't really like it because the gradients have got messed up in places. The real thing is much better.
I haven't installed the new update, and after what you lads have been saying, I don't intend to. There'll be a corrected version along soon enough.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Its still bsim2 but an earlier setup file..that I found in my download folder...it might be worth uninstalling bsim and re downloading

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Asa Post, post: 3333017, member: 17803"]Thanks.
When I did it on BSim, I didn't really like it because the gradients have got messed up in places. The real thing is much better.
I haven't installed the new update, and after what you lads have been saying, I don't intend to. There'll be a corrected version along soon enough.
The tunnel bit looks interesting...I watched someone tear up those gradients at 24mph cad over 100 oofft...so is it more hilly in real life?

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
The tunnel bit looks interesting...I watched someone tear up those gradients at 24mph cad over 100 oofft...so is it more hilly in real life?
No, it's less :thumbsup:
The only really steep bit is the descent and climb at the stream, early on when you go through the barriers which are there to stop idiots going full pelt down the slope. I would think that's getting on for 10%. The trains didn't have to climb it, there used to be a bridge which made it a level section.
Officially, the trail doesn't start until you reach the bike hire place just after the tunnel, but I really wanted to include the earlier bits.

harly

So I found a thread related to Strava not exporting the elevation data (this is technically a Strava limitation) and someone posted this workaround (which I beleive would work with MMR too):
Create route in strava
Export as a gpx or tcx
Import gpx into Ridewithgps.com
Export again as you favoured type

I've not yet tried it (I don't think I can see the elevation profile without a BKool device)
try making your routes in bike hike no problems with elevation using that in bkool

Sorry, I wish I could but the BKOOL TT lost the workout, I even emailed them about it, so frustrating - I reliase it comes across as a "yeah yeah you didn't do it really" but trust me I did because it took me at least 3 hours afterwards to recover from it, it was brutal. I am going to do it again next week (in an effort to get the damn thing to actually record it this time), I'll post a link up then and as I do with all BKOOL workouts since, I'll have my Garmin running as well just in case.

I just got the Garmin Virb Elite, has anyone tried uploading a video into BKOOL? did it work? how easy was it? I'm climbing the Teide (or trying to) in a few weeks and hoping to video it for the BKOOL TT when I get back overlayed with the usual ANT+ info.

Snaily

Wow this forum has gained a fair few new members and the pages progress a lot quicker these days, great to see.

It uses my ant+ HRM so I guess it is open ant+ now.

It's always used open ant+, hasn't it?

Its quite misleading when you read the technical specs of the BKOOL trainer, although the trainer specifies its compatible with ANT+ it actually uses a closed version of the ANT communication protocol. The BKOOL will communicate with your ANT+ speed and cadence sensors on the hardware side of things but on the software it is closed to prying eyes. This means that when it comes to software BKOOL have an ANT profile which can only be used with the BSIM software and no other 3rd party software like Trainerroad or the many others can be used.

How many other users of BKOOL would like to see the ANT profile opened up so that they could use 3rd party software? It was a feature that was supposed to be "coming soon" as far back as 2012 when DC rainmaker did his in depth review when the BKOOL was practically unheard of but it has still yet to happen. I guess in a way BKOOL are protecting the use of their own trainer with their own subscription service but I would guess sales would double if the trainer could be used with the likes of Trainerroad and the many other software packages available, some even free.

The Wahoo Kickr on the other hand is open ANT+ but then again nearly twice the price of the BKOOL so my next question goes to @burndust, having used both the BKOOL and KICKR, how are you finding the KICKR?

Cheers

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Wow this forum has gained a fair few new members and the pages progress a lot quicker these days, great to see.

Its quite misleading when you read the technical specs of the BKOOL trainer, although the trainer specifies its compatible with ANT+ it actually uses a closed version of the ANT communication protocol. The BKOOL will communicate with your ANT+ speed and cadence sensors on the hardware side of things but on the software it is closed to prying eyes. This means that when it comes to software BKOOL have an ANT profile which can only be used with the BSIM software and no other 3rd party software like Trainerroad or the many others can be used.

How many other users of BKOOL would like to see the ANT profile opened up so that they could use 3rd party software? It was a feature that was supposed to be "coming soon" as far back as 2012 when DC rainmaker did his in depth review when the BKOOL was practically unheard of but it has still yet to happen. I guess in a way BKOOL are protecting the use of their own trainer with their own subscription service but I would guess sales would double if the trainer could be used with the likes of Trainerroad and the many other software packages available, some even free.

The Wahoo Kickr on the other hand is open ANT+ but then again nearly twice the price of the BKOOL so my next question goes to @burndust, having used both the BKOOL and KICKR, how are you finding the KICKR?

Cheers
The kickr got sent back...my unit was faulty and I didnt opt for a replacement....I may look at again in the future

ziggys101

Über Member
Ok cheers
I have just returned the Bkool under the trial terms and bought the kickr instead whilst i've only trained on it twice so far i much prefer the "feel" of the ride , I also think the build quality of the kickr is much better than the Bkool and I'm also glad to be able to get back to using Trainer Road.

Top Bottom