Tesco mis -pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
Second time in three weeks I have noticed an overcharge at the checkout, this morning it was sugar, ticket price 70p checkout £1.09, the other week it was apples overcharged by 50p. They used to give you back double the difference but not anymore so I presume it is a common occurrence now probably due to less staff. When I see shoppers with full trolleys I wonder if they ever check prices and imagine Tesco and probably other supermarkets do quite well out of these mistakes before someone brings it to their attention.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget tesco club card pricing as well.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Over the years I have noticed on quite a few occasions overcharging at the checkouts. Self service as well as the manned ones.
The worst I had were two boxes of free range eggs that had yellow stickers on, instead of a pound a box, the checkout tried to charge me £10 each.
I do keep a close eye on the prices through the till.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Second time in three weeks I have noticed an overcharge at the checkout, this morning it was sugar, ticket price 70p checkout £1.09, the other week it was apples overcharged by 50p. They used to give you back double the difference but not anymore so I presume it is a common occurrence now probably due to less staff. When I see shoppers with full trolleys I wonder if they ever check prices and imagine Tesco and probably other supermarkets do quite well out of these mistakes before someone brings it to their attention.

It’s illegal to do that. If it doesn’t match the shelf edge price (not the Clubcard price) then you are entitled to the shelf edge price. No point morning here. Sort it out in store.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s illegal to do that. If it doesn’t match the shelf edge price (not the Clubcard price) then you are entitled to the shelf edge price. No point morning here. Sort it out in store.

Is that true?
If an expensive TV is accidentally tagged at £1 the shop has no obligation to sell it to you for £1.
An honest mistake is just that.
And if prices are constantly changing and are controlled by head office it is impossible for all shops to change the shelf price at the exact time.
But I agree that Tesco used to honour their mistakes, if they were just a failure to swap the labels in time.

OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru

Not moaning ( morning ) just pointing out that recently in my experience it is becoming more frequent and I do sort it out in store.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

AFAIK it is in offence to charge more than the advertised price but a seller is under no obligation to sell an item with an incorrect price sticker etc.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is that true?
If an expensive TV is accidentally tagged at £1 the shop has no obligation to sell it to you for £1.
An honest mistake is just that.
And if prices are constantly changing and are controlled by head office it is impossible for all shops to change the shelf price at the exact time.
But I agree that Tesco used to honour their mistakes, if they were just a failure to swap the labels in time.

Happened when I was working in a shop in the 1970s. A lawnmower in the window had a hand written price tag on it. Anyway said tag didn't belong to the lawnmower and was ludicrously low. It had probably fallen off something else and been placed on the lawnmower by an idiot (could have been me, but to be fair there were several idiots working in the shop at the time). I had a customer demanding to be sold the mower at that price because he knew his rights etc. I called the head of the gardening section and handed the troublesome customer off to him. He called The Boss (it was a family owned shop) and The Boss politely told Mr Troublesome to do one.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Don't forget tesco club card pricing as well.

This is really starting to annoy me. You now need a members card in every shop. Otherwise you just get ripped off.

When they gave away club card points I wasn’t that bothered about missing out. But some of the non member prices are silly. In Sainsbury’s a while ago my preferred tipple was £6 cheaper if you have a nectar card. Which I don’t, so didn’t buy it. Bonkers.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This is really starting to annoy me. You now need a members card in every shop. Otherwise you just get ripped off.

When they gave away club card points I wasn’t that bothered about missing out. But some of the non member prices are silly. In Sainsbury’s a while ago my preferred tipple was £6 cheaper if you have a nectar card. Which I don’t, so didn’t buy it. Bonkers.

Many of the Sainsbury Nectar deals are very good.

We check the weekly offers online and bulk buy the ones that we use. Save's us £'s.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......

Me too. I seldom shop in Tescos (confirmed Aldi man me) but I bobbed in one recently and my wife had to explain what the pricing was all about.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Many of the Sainsbury Nectar deals are very good.

We check the weekly offers online and bulk buy the ones that we use. Save's us £'s.

They may be good, but why should they be only available to someone who has registered for their card?
It is a public shop, all prices should be available to everyone without the need to sign away my privacy.

Top Bottom