The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
It is very difficult - if you look at it analytically - England were never in danger of losing - however - youve seen it all end in tears so many time
Yeah, it's easy to get "THE FEAR" when the Aussies start to step up. And anyone who watched Botty winning single-handedly in 1981 has to acknowledge that anything can happen.

Root dropped on 0 in the first innings was the point at which England won the 2015 Ashes. Discuss.

It remains to be seen - but more accurately - may be remembered as the point where the Aussies lost the first test of the 2015 Ashes - There will be other critical mistakes and inspired performances by both sides that will affect the outcomes of the remaining matches - It was the opening match of the series - The Aussies are not going to roll over just because they lost one match

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSj7SbvYD4w16BtljWr7YLb_k2PkjH0b-FTowYsT-fN7jUzba4kyA.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
England have named the same squad for the second test - that must have taken a lot of thought - I suspect the Aussie selectors might be ruminating matters for a bit longer
Balance and Bell have done just enough. I wish Balance would show some of the fluency of last year as he's got more of a future than Bell. The alternatives from the counties aren't obvious - to me at least although I don't follow it as closely as I used to.
I feel sorry for Moeen in that he originally got selected as an opener, No.3 and has found himself batting down at 8 with the stiffs, by dint of being last spinner standing. I'd be happier if he was accommodated at no.6 somehow.

Yup - the same can be said of both Cook and Lyth on basis of the summer as a whole - just enough - but the whole top four need to come to the party more - Lyth am I not convinced he is playing the swinging ball well enough - but is still new to playing against best of the best - difficult to move up Moeen unless Bell or Ballance goes - Stokes has made 6 his own after the first Kiwi test - Buttler and Moeen are pretty much on a par-too good to be 8 - and apart from Bairstow who is also too good to be an 8 but would be a replacement for the Bs with Root going to 3 no obvious alternatives

gavgav

Guru
Great performance, Joe Root immense as always. However it's unlikely the Aussies will play this poorly again and so there is a long way to go yet!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
As a test batsman I'd rate Moeen as having more potential than Buttler, and I'm fairly sure that one of Balance and Bell won't last the series. Balance may be better off back at Yorkshire to find some form.
I agree that the top 4 need to produce as a group though, it leaves too much reliance on Joe Root. He does seem the real deal though, doesn't he? And so fresh-faced too!:wub:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As a test batsman I'd rate Moeen as having more potential than Buttler, and I'm fairly sure that one of Balance and Bell won't last the series. Balance may be better off back at Yorkshire to find some form.
I agree that the top 4 need to produce as a group though, it leaves too much reliance on Joe Root. He does seem the real deal though, doesn't he? And so fresh-faced too!:wub:

Was he growing some facial hair this test? It's so very hard to be sure

England's weakness is the top 4. Good players all but not really world class, particularly since Cook and Bell don't seem to be able to reach the heights they did in the past. However, their 5-8 is as good if not better than any other side. There seems to be a real clamour to move Root to 3 but I wouldn't. At the moment he's England's best batsman but with the openers he's likely to get exposed to the new ball very quickly. If Root goes early too it's hard to see England making a big score. I'd leave him where he is

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Was he growing some facial hair this test? It's so very hard to be sure

England's weakness is the top 4. Good players all but not really world class, particularly since Cook and Bell don't seem to be able to reach the heights they did in the past. However, their 5-8 is as good if not better than any other side. There seems to be a real clamour to move Root to 3 but I wouldn't. At the moment he's England's best batsman but with the openers he's likely to get exposed to the new ball very quickly. If Root goes early too it's hard to see England making a big score. I'd leave him where he is
In the same vein, I think Ali at 8 is an invaluable asset. The Ashes is arguably the most intensely psychological clash of a highly psychological sport, and I can think of nothing more frustrating and demoralising than a number 8 who comes in and hangs around and mullers you for 50+ just when you're exhausted and mentally in a 'clear up the stragglers and move on' frame of mind. If he was regularly carrying his bat it would tend to suggest he's too low down the order, but he seems generally to get out - but only after giving them a good kick in the nuts to take with them into their preparations for the next phase.

More generally, while it would of course be stupidly premature (not to mention dumb) to start getting complacent, and Aussies never say die, coming out as favourites only to lose a match so decisively in four days (on a '10 day pitch') must be devastating. They're also now one and a half bowlers down (against a side whose key bowlers seem at last to be firing on all cylinders, just at the right time, with backup from numerous and varied credible options) and have a wicket keeper prone to spilling dollies at crucial junctures, The psychological momentum with England right now must be immense.

The Force is with us!

Game on.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Balance and Bell have done just enough. I wish Balance would show some of the fluency of last year as he's got more of a future than Bell. The alternatives from the counties aren't obvious - to me at least although I don't follow it as closely as I used to.
I feel sorry for Moeen in that he originally got selected as an opener, No.3 and has found himself batting down at 8 with the stiffs, by dint of being last spinner standing. I'd be happier if he was accommodated at no.6 somehow.
The point made on the radio last night was that at no8 Moeen tends to come in as the second new ball is being taken, and he is able to hold up an end, keep the board ticking over and isnt scared of the new ball. Knowing that the no 8 can bat like a no3 must be very soul destroying for the bowlers.

Wafer

Veteran
If Balance or Lyth struggle they could do worse than having another look at Compton. He's not perhaps a long term prospect at 32, but I still think he was fairly badly treated before and has more to offer.
Difficult to see past Bairstow on form if Bell doesn't do enough though there's also Taylor, who hasn't got the best FC record this year but I think is good enough for England as well as Hildreth who must be about the best English middle order batsman not to have played for England in quite some time.

Could also be more radical, bump Moeen back up the order and either bring in a lower order batsman or someone like Rashid who averages 35 in FC cricket. Bowling just under 35, batting just over....
Understand the benefit of a batsman like Moeen coming in down the order but it means he's being looked at as a bowler who bats, rather than the other way around.

Will see how the new order of things is going to work over this test series I think. Pleased with the way the first test has gone but I think the other 4 matches will be harder and will be interesting to see how things go from a selection point of view when the Aussies inevitably come back at us.

Top Bottom