The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It Thursday - it is Lords – It is the Second Ashes Test

A brilliant win by England in Cardiff to go one up in the series – It is difficult to reconcile this team’s performance against what has gone before – totally stripped away the Aussies cloak of invincibility through positive batting and disciplined bowling performances – and they caught a few catches as well :smile:

I cannot see the Aussies lying down and taking it – Both as a team and individuals they are too good for that – I expect that they will have learned from their mistakes – Particularly over-attacking when Root and Stokes were going well and taking Moeen too lightly - The Aussies bowled well in periods without much luck – If they had had a little more rub of the green the result might have gone the other way - You might say England rode their luck – but it was more a case of England making their own luck.

The pitch today will be faster – not super-fast – but will suit the likes of Johnson more – However, how they cope with the slope may have an impact on the outcome - England will I hope continue to play in a positive but not reckless manner – moving the game on at a rate that renders the draw unlikely – however, it is an approach that will not be successful all the time and we must not be surprised or dismissive should it go wrong – It is a five test series – the measure of how successful it has been will be the scores on the doors at the end of the series.

Notwithstanding the result of the last game England’s top order need to sort themselves out – in the two inning the top four scored only just over a quarter of England’s runs – 197 out of a total of 738 – not good enough

Australia win toss and will bat - lets hope that is the only thing that they win in the next five days

England unchanged - Neville in for Haddin and not unsurprisingly Marsh in for Watson for the Aussies

Ganymede

Veteran
Aussies batting a bit too well for my liking, though that Warner wicket was nice.

This is where I start thinking things like... yes but Root could have been out for a duck last week... wasn't that just luck rather than winning...? etc and other BAD THOUGHTS.

Doesn't seem like a result track does it?

Aussies presumably going to bat on most of tomorrow, 600-ish. Then hope to get England out for less than 400 and enforce follow on? Otherwise it'll fizzle out as a draw

Aussies 337 for 1

On the face of it the result does not seem to be high on the list of outcomes – Rogers and Smith batted positively but patiently – very old school to amass their runs – England didn't do much wrong - Broad and Wood bowled well, Anderson and Stokes a bit inconsistent in line and length and got caned when they bowled the bad balls – Moeen bowled like Moeen. Bell dropped the catch – but there simply was not much in the pitch for the England bowlers – Today England must hope that the Aussie batters are collectively afflicted by a Warner like rush of blood to the head in an attempt to get to over 600.

Today around tea England should expect to be batting against a first innings score of 500 to 600 runs – it will be a test of the England top order – a bit of old school straight bat will be required with a busy approach to keep the score ticking on – A test too for the Aussies bowling attack – with the shackles off will Johnson and Stark with their extra pace and Hazelwood with his constancy do the business – Or will it be Lyon with his nagging little off spinners.

In the movie (“Brave New World” Directed by Andrew Strauss, Executive Producer Trevor Bayliss, Assistant Director Paul Farbrace, Best Boy Joe Root) England bowl out the remaining Aussies by lunch today and knock off the runs by tea before establishing a big lead as the sun sets – I hope that England have a better grip on reality than that.

Aussies 566 for 8 declared – The Aussies have kept to their original script – England have bowled quite well – Broad being the pick on a pitch that is seaming a little bit today – and got a few wickets which slowed the scoring rate for a while - But the Aussies continued patiently accumulating runs – Smith 215 – now to see what the Mitchells can do

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
hmmm....2 down already. The crumb of comfort for me is that is I was to choose two players in the England side who were not really of international class, it would be Lyth and Ballance. Let's hope that Cook and Bell can make a real fist of it instead of having to rely on 5-8 (again)

edit.....oh FFS

Top Bottom