The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Bell to haul himself out of last chance saloon again :smile:

Bairstow in at 5 Root to four and maybe a hard look at Lyth
We've been waiting for a while for Bell though - that 50 he got against the Kiwis made us all disproportionately happy and hopeful I think. I would love for him to come back but it just looks decreasingly likely. I'd be happy if I were proved wrong!

Aussies 108 for 0 – Lead by 362

I think it was actually a good effort by the remaining English batsmen to get to 312 - Cook 96, a combative but watchful Stokes 87, a nice 39 by Moeen, Broad hung about a while for his 21 - by and large the Aussies had to work to get them out

The Aussies as predicted by many of the pundits went off for a sit down and normal service was resumed – The Aussies batting without giving many chances – England’s bowlers toiling without much penetration

So this morning more about how many runs is a good margin and how many sessions the Aussies have in mind to bowl England out in – total control by the Aussies

England probably have to bat for around 150 overs – not unprecedented because five teams have supposedly done it – Im not that optimistic – but it would be a good start if the likes of Bell and Lyth make a significant contribution to the effort and do not wilt away again as soon as the Aussies turn up the gas with the new ball. Maybe a bit harsh on Lyth but apart from the 107 against the Kiwis at Leeds has not really looked the part. Bell I think is time expired – Needs more new faces in mould of Root and Stokes

Australia declare (again) 254 for 2 - lead by 508

Australia are sticking to their script - Can England come up with an alternative ending - only time will tell - and there is an awful lot of that left

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Australia declare (again) 254 for 2 - lead by 508

Australia are sticking to their script - Can England come up with an alternative ending - only time will tell - and there is an awful lot of that left

Lyth or Ballance need to score a big hundred to save this one. LIke you I get the feeling that Bell has passed his sell by date and we'll see Bairstow in at 5 with Root up to 4 in the next test. The problem with positions 1 and 3 is that I don't see any ready made replacements who could do any better so maybe the best we can hope for is we draw the game and both Lyth and Ballance get good knocks to give them some confidence

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Notverymuch for 3

All over, 1-1

To only have one reliable accumulator of runs in the top 4 means that England will always be under pressure. I'm a bit out of touch regarding the county scene. Is there any likely replacement for Lyth/Balance out there? I'm assuming that if Bairstow comes in, Bell goes out but I guess Ballance could go instead

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Tea

I looked through the averages and the county results this morning and apart from Bairstow only Hales stands out

So what changes do you expect?

I'm happy enough with 5-11 (subject to Root moving up the order). Cook is secure. So how many out of Lyth, Ballance and Bell will go? It must be at least one with Bairstow coming in but could it be two?

England all out for notalot - Australia win by quitealot :sad:, GB (Murray Family) win the Davies Cup Tie :smile:, Griepel wins Stage 15 of TdeF :bicycle:- Come back tomorrow for the result of the Open :popcorn:

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Time for the axe to swing!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb6et3CQcAQiIlej-o5urhrY1X24FGmGcFB_xl1HhJB5dkZbhs.jpg

Lyth, Ballance and Bell this time round.

So what changes do you expect?

I'm happy enough with 5-11 (subject to Root moving up the order). Cook is secure. So how many out of Lyth, Ballance and Bell will go? It must be at least one with Bairstow coming in but could it be two?

Im not sure that I expect any changes- I would hope that Bayliss would take the opportunity to cull Bell and Ballance - Bell because he is time expired - just not got it anymore - move Root to 4 - Ballance because his technique is well flawed - Might just as well put Hales in there and let him learn on the job - Lyth is more difficult - no one really in the running to replace him - not sure that any changes will affect the final outcome - the Dads army are accumulating runs like they expect cricket to be abolished - the Mitches and their mate Josh are a step up from the England bowlers on this sort of pitch

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Well first off they need to provide a pitch that the England bowlers can get into the Aussie batting

If England are to prepare a pitch for them to win on, Maybe the players should be told how the pitch is going to play, and then play accordingly. Both the English batsmen and bowlers failed quite miserably.

Top Bottom