The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
No matter what happens now, it's still a good partnership. Which is why I dared post it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDjcJlDg_ig

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
343-7. Not too bad from England but I'd rather there were still a couple more wickets in hand. Joe Root continues his golden form (with a bit of riding his luck).

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So the forecast looks good for days 2-4 then largely crap on day 5. England's very good run rate means that there's still a good chance of a result however. As an England supporter hopefully we can post 400+ to put Australia under some pressure. It'll be interesting to see how Australia approach that. Do they bat at 4 an over to try to go for a result? I suspect the answer is yes despite it probably being a four and a bit day test

Disappointing to see Bell continue his very poor run of form. I'm not sure whether it's a long-term decline or not. Maybe a couple more failures and we'll see Root up to four and Bairstow in at five?

As an England supporter hopefully we can post 400+

400 would be nice but I suspect 450 is probably the target that England need to put pressure on the Assies - They would need to bat amazingly well to achieve it and then bowl out of their skins to keep the Aussies below that - I agree that the Aussies will come out firing but that may be to Englands advantage

Disappointing to see Bell continue his very poor run of form. I'm not sure whether it's a long-term decline or not. Maybe a couple more failures and we'll see Root up to four and Bairstow in at five?

I think the writing has been on the wall wrt Bell for a while now - too many low scores in between the decent knocks - Bairstow is definitely the number one option - showed he has the big match temperament and has scored some good runs in the championship

Let's see how your guys get on against the mighty UAE tomorrow

Scotland are on a roll at the moment - they beat Jersey yesterday

Wafer

Veteran

I think there have been relatively few times in his 10 year test career when he's really deserved his spot. Brilliant at County level, not sure he's done it often enough at Test level. I've never been a particular Bell fan and to an extent I realise I'm arguing against his stats, but I just have this impression too many of his runs haven't been when they've really been needed. Not to say he hasn't ever saved an innings that was on the ropes, I just don't think he's done it enough. Bit of a Graeme Hick or Mark Ramprakash, without actually being dropped.
He's had a difficult hurdle to get over with me though as I've always been grumpy that between him and KP they ended Graham Thorpe's career just as the 2005 Ashes was about to start, the team Thorpe was best against and Bell was pretty dire despite the win having racked up some safe runs against a poor Bangladesh.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think there have been relatively few times in his 10 year test career when he's really deserved his spot. Brilliant at County level, not sure he's done it often enough at Test level. I've never been a particular Bell fan and to an extent I realise I'm arguing against his stats, but I just have this impression too many of his runs haven't been when they've really been needed. Not to say he hasn't ever saved an innings that was on the ropes, I just don't think he's done it enough. Bit of a Graeme Hick or Mark Ramprakash, without actually being dropped.
He's had a difficult hurdle to get over with me though as I've always been grumpy that between him and KP they ended Graham Thorpe's career just as the 2005 Ashes was about to start, the team Thorpe was best against and Bell was pretty dire despite the win having racked up some safe runs against a poor Bangladesh.

I suspect the point is moot in any case. My guess is that unless he makes more than 50 in the second innings, he's out and Bairstow's in. Not that I have the ear of the selectors, I just think there's so much pressure to do well in an Ashes series (whatever "do well" actually means) the selection will be merciless. That and the fact that Root appears ready to move to 4, leaving room at 5

England 430 all out

A good effort – Considering they were 3 for notverymuch – Lyth 6 in the short time he was there looked dodgy against the swinging ball, Cook 20 was playing nicely but was reading from the wrong script – too aggressive against the spinner – his job should be to accumulate – Bell 1, there is not a lot to say about his 4 ball innings

England hauled out of the mire again by Root 134 who once he got over his dodgy over played brilliantly assisted by a determined Balance who despite looking like he was an accident waiting to happen against the left hand fast bowlers made 62 – Stokes 52 played aggressively but chose the right balls to go against – Buttler 27 was going along nicely when he gave a dolly catch – Moeen played superbly this morning with a little bit of luck for his 77 – Broad last night played well, getting in line with the ball and had the presence of mind to refuse a run so as not to expose Moeen to the last ball, this morning was a bit dodgy against the short ball and had to change his helmet but played some good shots for his 18 – Wood 7 supported Moen well in the short time he was there.

Ball is still swinging so will be interesting to see what Jimmy and his mates can do

Top Bottom