The Cello - one for the bonfire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I went to Munich for a bit of shopping on Saturday and in an otherwise quiet side street there was a busking cellist. His technique was excellent (his finger wobbled a lot on the strings which I think adds up to excellent technique) and he seemed to be playing all the right notes in the right order. But it wasn't half a depressing sound!! Elegant enough I suppose but elegant in the way that the stroke with which you could cut your wrists could be a smooth, slow sweep. I can't see the point of a depressing musical instrument, no matter how well played.

So the question is, would we miss cellos if they all went on the bonfire next November?

I'm sure there are other instruments people would like to see chucked too. Come to think of it, soprano saxophones should be irretrievably bent ...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oh no. Andy on the Arts again. What planet are you on? I suppose you don't have a favourite version of Bach's exquisite cello suites, then. I'm for Pablo Casals.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
theclaud said:
Oh no. Andy on the Arts again. What planet are you on? I suppose you don't have a favourite version of Bach's exquisite cello suites, then. I'm for Pablo Casals.

You can go wherever you want for your hols.

He didn't fiddle about with cellos on the Brandenburg concertos (or at least he put them in their place i.e. well in the background) and they are quite cheerful, which sort of proves my point. It would appear that Joe Bach and I are as one on this matter.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Surely there's a time and a place for all types of music? Without such mournful elegance as Andy describes, might the world end up driven to a state of over-cheerful fervour to the extent that the only music we're left with is "Happy Hardcore"?:hyper:

I'll keep the cello thanks, without the odd dolorous moment my life would feel very empty indeed...:biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
There are times and places for sad music and as a general rule, I like sad, mournful music anyway so the cello can stay as far as I'm concerned.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Errmmmm.. Andy.... Cello Suites. Six monumental works for unaccompanied cello, each consisting of six or seven movements. JS Bach. Ring any bells?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
tyred said:
There are times and places for sad music and as a general rule, I like sad, mournful music anyway so the cello can stay as far as I'm concerned.

In my experience sad music is better at lifting the mood than happy music. A friend at university did an experiment for his psychology degree which proved as much.

Globalti

Legendary Member
With what music? Surely not Leonard Cohen?

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
srw said:
Errmmmm.. Andy.... Cello Suites. Six monumental works for unaccompanied cello, each consisting of six or seven movements. JS Bach. Ring any bells?

It's well known that he knocked them out for a gloomy prince just to pay the rent.

A lot of Cello'ists are really hot though, well the female ones, perhaps someone more suitably qualified can give me a view on the male ones.

<goes off to find some Cello solos>

Top Bottom