The Cello - one for the bonfire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Auntie Helen said:
Was at a concert t'other week watching a chap playing a Theorbo. That was interesting! Definitely not one for the bonfire.

So was I! I was mystified by how you would tune it without assistance. Maybe you wouldn't?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Same concert? The delectable Mr Scholl?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Auntie Helen said:
Same concert? The delectable Mr Scholl?

I wish! Mediocre rendition of the Monteverdi Vespers in Swansea. The orchestra was quite good though. There's not a lot going on down here, you know!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
But still someone with a theorbo, which is cool.

I was in the front row and the theorbo player was directly in my line of vision. I noticed he clenched his jaw as he played each note (he had shiny cheeks which reflected the light) so I wondered how relaxing it was to play for two hours. His dentist must love him!

derall

Guru
Love the sound of the cello, solo as in the previously mentioned JSB or in the concertos of Dvorak or Elgar

Solo violin? Paganini

Instrument to lose? Viola. What's the point of the f$#@ing viola. Ever heard a viola concerto? Did JSB write a viola partita. Total waste of good wood

Why do violists stand for long periods outside people's houses?
They can't find the key and they don't know when to come in.
What's the difference between a viola and an onion?
No one cries when you cut up a viola.
What's the difference between a violin and a viola?
The viola burns longer.
What's the difference between a viola and a trampoline?
You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline.
Why do so many people take an instant dislike to the viola?
It saves time.

More Viola Jokes

yoyo

Our daughter was/ is a fine cellist and I have the privilege of using her instrument until she moves into a house of her own. It is a beautiful instrument; much more forgiving than the violin / viola, played in a more natural position and easier to transport than a double bass. The cello teacher at school is so good that even the beginners make a lovely sound. I would very much disagree with putting cellos on a bonfire!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oi Andy in Sig... NO!

You can't put the Cello on the bonfire because it's a bloody beautiful sounding instrument that has inspired some great music.

(As an Alto Sax player, I'm OK with you putting the Soprano on the bonfire though).

redcogs

Guru
The cello suites are wonderful IMO.

Our daughter is learning the cello, and got her first exam pass marks a couple of days ago.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Andy in Sig said:
So the overwhelming vote is against incineration then, huh?

I'm going off in a huff.

You're just a bunch of Palestines.

Good! Since the Save the Cello campaign has been so successful, I'm going to put in a word for the soprano saxophone. We can solve the Kenny G problem simply by shooting him. It's a baby and bathwater thing - the babies in this case being Sidney Bechet, Coltrane, and our very own Art Themen. Instead we could have a rule that no one is allowed near a soprano until they are an undisputed master of either clarinet, tenor or alto. Is it a deal?

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Maybe, just maybe. But there would also have to be a complete, utter and worldwide ban on the use of soprano saxes in sitcom theme tunes. Even Courtney Pine for God's sake, can't convince me of the merits of that instrument.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Andy in Sig said:
Maybe, just maybe. But there would also have to be a complete, utter and worldwide ban on the use of soprano saxes in sitcom theme tunes. Even Courtney Pine for God's sake, can't convince me of the merits of that instrument.

Courtney Pine has never convinced me of the merits of anything, least of all Courtney Pine.

Top Bottom