The Cello - one for the bonfire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

It's a bit like the violin I guess, not a great solo instrument. Guy two doors along plays the violin. I say plays but strangles is closer. I wish someone would tell him he's bad at it.

Bagpipes, I'd burn all of those.

Where's the bonfire going to be? Just so I can join in with my daughters violin. Half an hour of 'hot cross buns' this morning. My ears are bleeding.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'm inclined to agree about violins. In classical music they are hysterical, whinging, squeaky things but they are quite humourous and lively in e.g. Irish folk music.

betty swollocks

large member
Sir Thomas Beecham to a female cellist:-

“Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands - and all you can do is scratch it”

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'm afraid I can't play it at work. However, as a general rule of thumb and if I were writing a Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra, I would include something along the lines of: "Classical violins are like actresses of a certain age: nervous, histrionic, petulant, makers of irritating noises and terrified of getting their (overly applied) makeup smudged."

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
As an ex-cellist. I'd say keep them out of the fire.

I loved the sound of the cello as I played - wish now I'd not given it up when I went to Uni (I'd been playing it for 10 years at that point).

HeartfeltDawn

As a chap whose late grandfather bought, sold and made cellos for a number of years, I can safely say that the cello is a beautiful sounding instrument. The depth you get from a great cello sounds so much better than a violin or viola. So no, don't burn them.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I think cellos are lovely too. Yes, they can be a bit doleful, but sometimes doleful is what you need.

Was at a concert t'other week watching a chap playing a Theorbo. That was interesting! Definitely not one for the bonfire.

What I'd like to burn is those dreadful cheap keyboards that make even a decent pianist sound rubbish. The ones that sound tinny, have no velocity sensitivity or sustain or anything. Shoot 'em!

Top Bottom