The fallacy of "servicing" a bicycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As I said in t'other thread, most "Servicing" consists of nothing more than the turn of an adjuster to take up slack in a cable, It used to amaze me when I rode the odd sportive how some very expensive bikes made a noise like a nail bomb in a biscuit tin on every gear change, a problem that could be solved in less than ten seconds by anyone with even the minimum of knowledge. And for every cyclist you see at the roadside changing a tube there'll be another on the phone to his wife to come and pick him up.

Dmcd33

I've saved a fortune in amassing a load of tools and things that help me maintain my bike. The main one being a good bike stand.

The only thing I use the bike shop for now is to 'Tru' my wheels. I've kept my eyes out for a machine, but My wheels only need this after a big bump or every 6mths (if that)

The other tip is that it's all on You Tube anyway and the tools can be got on Ebay for a reasonable price (be aware of the cheap chinese stuff though)

I must also add that I've F'.*'@ed up a few components with my lack of knowledge/patience, but is has been worth it in the long run.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's a compliment, believe me.

KneesUp

Guru
I do all the rudimentary maintenance myself on the home fleet, but jobs such as modern bottom bracket replace not I don't do often because I lack the specific tools. (Cup and cones on old Squate taper I can do as I have tools for that).
I do cup and cone wheel bearings but not sealed types.
I don't fix wheels.
I don't do ahead sets.

I'm the opposite with BBs - I get the shop to put new ones in whenever I buy a rusty wreck off eBay a new bike because that's all I have tools for. Wheels fixing is basically alchemy.

cd365

Guru
I do everything myself to the best of my ability! I wouldn't touch truing a wheel though, tried as a kid and failed miserably! As a kid I could strip a bike right down and rebuild, but wheels are a black art!

rb58

Enigma
I enjoy 'servicing' and repairing my bike. I'm fortunate in that I could afford to give it to a shop, but I choose not to. Not because the LBS is rubbish, but because I enjoy doing it myself. In fact, one of the first things I did when I got my 'Sunday Best' (and expensive) bike was to take it apart completely - back to a bare frame - and then building it up again so I understood how everything worked and what each component looked like in 'as new' condition. Very satisfying. On the other hand, I've never lifted the bonnet on my daily car. Can't be ar5ed - it's the garage every time. What I think I'm trying to say is that people's motivation for working on their bikes is many and varied.

Drago

Legendary Member
Doing your own work for me is as much about appreciating and understanding the machine as riding it.

There's is nothing as satisfying - and wallet friendly - as keeping your own bike in top form. Tools are cheap, internet guides are many, so it never been easier.

Davidc

Guru
I've done most of my own servicing for about 50 years - mainly because I enjoy it.

BUT

It's not for everyone. I know a number of cyclists who don't enjoy doing mechanical or repairy things to their bikes, and use a bike shop instead.

Why should anyone feel pressured into doing maintenance if they don't want to? If they enjoy riding but not the practical bit then that's their choice and it's not up to any of us who happen to be able to do our own (and enjoy it) to suggest that there's anything wrong with just getting out and riding, leaving the maintenance to others and paying them for the privilege. Like rb58 above that's exactly the view I take about cars.

The only thing I think everyone should learn though is to take off a tyre, find whatever made the hole in the tube and remove it, put a spare tube in and replace the tyre - then work some form of reinflation device.

Top Bottom