The fallacy of "servicing" a bicycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
Is this thread about a LBS moaning about people giving LBS's business? A service might not be a money spinner but the other things whilst their does make them money. I am crap at anything except the basics, its how I am but I would rather have my bike fully stripped and serviced within a decent time than spend weekends working on it like some sad old man in a shed with nowt better to do.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I need new brake pads. I will book the bike into the shop. Its not that I can't do it, bit why should I?

PS. Some cars need a lot of tuning too, sports cars.

mustang1

Legendary Member
What did you buy with this fortune you amassed?

I've saved a fortune in amassing a load of tools and things that help me maintain my bike. The main one being a good bike stand.

The only thing I use the bike shop for now is to 'Tru' my wheels. I've kept my eyes out for a machine, but My wheels only need this after a big bump or every 6mths (if that)

The other tip is that it's all on You Tube anyway and the tools can be got on Ebay for a reasonable price (be aware of the cheap chinese stuff though)

I must also add that I've F'.*'@ed up a few components with my lack of knowledge/patience, but is has been worth it in the long run.[/QUOTE

Brandane

Legendary Member
I need new brake pads. I will book the bike into the shop. Its not that I can't do it, bit why should I?
Because it would take all of 10 minutes to DIY, after ChainReaction/Wiggle had delivered the parts through your letter box.

I view bike maintenance as an on-going project, where anything that needs adjusted, lubricated, or replaced gets done as it needs it.
I don't see the point in letting faults fester and multiply until you eventually take the bike into a shop. Or end up visiting the LBS every week with whatever might have gone out of adjustment (or squeak, rattle or whatever).
It's bicycles we are talking about here isn't it? They are basic machines, it's definitely not rocket science!

Drago

Legendary Member
Is this thread about a LBS moaning about people giving LBS's business? A service might not be a money spinner but the other things whilst their does make them money. I am crap at anything except the basics, its how I am but I would rather have my bike fully stripped and serviced within a decent time than spend weekends working on it like some sad old Nan in a shed with nowt better to do.

Your confessed lack of knowledge lets you down. I got 7 bikes, all but one used regularly, and I average less than 15 minutes a week with the spanners, so I'm not sure where this "all weekend" Twilight Zone of bike maintenance comes from.

If you don't have the knowledge and don't feel like acquiring it then fair play, but the lack of time argument is a non starter. The journey alone to the bike shop takes longer than most repair jobs would.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'm fairly handy when I put my mind to things and I love to do the maintenance on my own bikes. it gives me the most pleasure when I'm out on a club run and the guys on 1 year plus higher end gear have bikes that are clicking, banging and squeaking but Le Pug (23years old) is as quiet as a mouse.

when it comes to bike maintenance, I find doing little and often beats the prospect of a major fail and a parts overhaul.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Your confessed lack of knowledge lets you down. I got 7 bikes, all but one used regularly, and I average less than 15 minutes a week with the spanners, so I'm not sure where this "all weekend" Twilight Zone of bike maintenance comes from.

If you don't have the knowledge and don't feel like acquiring it then fair play, but the lack of time argument is a non starter. The journey alone to the bike shop takes longer than most repair jobs would.

If you had watched me trying to fit mudguards you might have a different opinoin

Moodyman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="Drago, post: 3283198, member: 22751"The journey alone to the bike shop takes longer than most repair jobs would.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, and then you've got to go back a few days later to collect it.

If your bike is your transport then this is not an option.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think bike mechanics are like builders, plumbers, joiners - all workmen, really :laugh: to get them to do a job properly you need to have the knowledge of what is wrong in the first place.
When I started cycling I planned to take the bike to the lbs for everything. Alas, after a few times I could see some jobs are not worth his money nor his time, so I learned to do them myself. Getting there was difficult anyway, me working shifts.
I think if you cycle for transport you better learn the basics. Also, if you lead rides, some knowledge is essential.

Top Bottom