The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is so much about why I love footy so much.....the fans

Bradford City Fans Pie Chant HERE

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Some stunning goals over the weekend - and no, I'm not just talking Charlie Adams. Bobby Zamora's was better - truly amazing. But also the save of the season - Tim Howard's claw-back on the line. All in all a great weekend's footie.

gavgav

Guru
A glorious day for watching footy. Mansfield Town FC, watching Shrewsbury Town continue their push for promotion. 3 wins from 5 and we are up.
image.jpg

Doseone

Guru
And the award for the worst away fans ever goes to........Everton.

Was at Swansea Everton last Saturday, never heard away fans so quiet in all my life. They gave a bit of a cheer when they scored but didn't hear a peep out of them the rest of the match. There were plenty of them too. Strange, I expected them to be decent. They were a good side though, quite a big strong side and Barclay was class.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
And the award for the worst away fans ever goes to........Everton.

Was at Swansea Everton last Saturday, never heard away fans so quiet in all my life. They gave a bit of a cheer when they scored but didn't hear a peep out of them the rest of the match. There were plenty of them too. Strange, I expected them to be decent. They were a good side though, quite a big strong side and Barclay was class.

I wasn't there but am surprised you say that. Our away support is almost always sold out (as seems to be the case on Saturday as you say "there were plenty of them..."), and is usually quite vocal. I am also surprised at a couple of things you say; firstly, I didn't think we were that good - a forgettable game really, Kone stunk the place out, and as for being a big strong side, one of the worries from Evertonians is that we are quite small in comparison to a lot of other teams: none of Coleman, Baines, Osman, Lennon, Pienaar, Barry or Naismith are that big, Barkley and McCarthy provide a strong presence in midfield and Stones is a classy young defender to go with Jagielka's experience and dependability. I thought Swansea passed the ball better than us but didn't really threaten, but still deserved a point.

This has been a turgid season for Everton and Martinez has come in for a lot of stick due to the overpassing and incredibly slow build up play he employs, which has made it so easy for teams to defend against and easy to force us into costly mistakes. It would be interesting to know what you think of Martinez, given that he used to be your manager, it seems to me that Gary Monk is rather more pragmatic and will mix things up a bit more depending on the opposition, but I haven't seen enough of the Swans to be sure of that.

Doseone

Guru
@Roadhump I'm not a Swansea fan (am QPR), but live in Wales and go and watch both Swansea and Cardiff when I can. I just enjoy watching football. Your away support was sold out by the look of it, but like I say was really quiet. I've been watching football all my life and they were probably the quietest away fans I've come across - and it's not like I was down the other end of the ground either. I've got no problem with Everton, in fact I've got a bit of a soft spot for them, and I know your home support is excellent, which is why I found it strange - just calling it as I saw it on the day. Swansea fans were giving it the "We'll sing on our own" and "1-0 and you still won't sing".

I thought Everton played well, they looked strong in midfield and had Swansea on the ropes for large parts of the game. If either side deserved the win it was Everton. Swansea looked toothless up front after Gomis went off, Emnes came on and didn't do much and in fact was pushed out to the left for much of the second half. I must say I thought Kone was sh!te - lightweight and offered very little. On the size thing I guess it was mainly Jagielka, McCarthy and Barclay (who looks like a really powerful athlete), but I thought you mostly bossed the midfield. Also, Swansea are not a big side either - most people would look big against Routledge and Dyer!! Barclay was my MOTM by a country mile.

I don't have much of a view on Martinez because as I said, I'm not a Swan, but it was really nice to see the obvious warmth between him and Monk.

Good luck for the rest of the season, from what I saw on Saturday you're a good side and I think you'll do well next season.

Cheers.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Thanks for your very well considered reply. Perhaps it was because our games are all rather meaningless until the end of the season - safe from relegation and no chance of winning anything. I have a season ticket at Everton and this season the home support too has been quite muted, and has even become quite impatient and critical during a lacklustre campaign that began with high expectation after last term.Interestingly Barkley has had a lot of stick this season, he has looked lost in many games, but then he has been hyped so much ad being a local lad expectations are maybe a bit OTT, plus he has been played out of his favoured position quite a bit.

I guess you and your fellow QPR fans will be much louder than us as you will be fighting until the last day. It is so hard to call, but my prediction is that Hull will go, as they have a nightmare run-in, then Sunderland as they seem to have have no spirit and also have a tougher set of fixtures to get through then most. The final space will be between QPR, Leicester and Burnley IMO, but then what do I know? I heard Ian Wright saying on 5 Live the other night that even if QPR do get relegated, the way the club has been structured now bodes well for the future. Good luck.

Top Bottom