The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
@SpokeyDokey

Good You Tube link for you
HERE

Can't seem to embed for some reason.

@ianrauk

Looks like it could be a belter - I saw some exterior mock-ups (someone had linked to the architects off of The Shed on CFC site) - I think it looks like something out of Gotham City. Very brutal and harking back to Victorian London. Complete contrast to the wispy/illuminated/wavy grounds that are all the rage. Really liking it.

Thanks for sharing.

KTBFFH

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
@ianrauk

Looks like it could be a belter - I saw some exterior mock-ups (someone had linked to the architects off of The Shed on CFC site) - I think it looks like something out of Gotham City. Very brutal and harking back to Victorian London. Complete contrast to the wispy/illuminated/wavy grounds that are all the rage. Really liking it.

Thanks for sharing.

KTBFFH
It does look good. Last time I visited Stamford Bridge Bobby Moore was still playing for West Ham. Back then it was a ground devoid of atmosphere with the stands and terraces set well back from the pitch - am I right in remembering a running track round the outside?

One thing about modern grounds, as good as they are for spectators they lack character from a TV viewers perspective. They all look pretty much the same on the box, before the spate of rebuilds and improvements you could tell most grounds as soon as the cameras started to roll.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It does look good. Last time I visited Stamford Bridge Bobby Moore was still playing for West Ham. Back then it was a ground devoid of atmosphere with the stands and terraces set well back from the pitch - am I right in remembering a running track round the outside?

One thing about modern grounds, as good as they are for spectators they lack character from a TV viewers perspective. They all look pretty much the same on the box, before the spate of rebuilds and improvements you could tell most grounds as soon as the cameras started to roll.

The athletics track disappeared in bits- the last of which went in the 90's.

I think greyhounds raced there yonks back.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've been to about 10 of the Rovers Burnley derbies,all in the late 1970's and 80's.
A lot of hatred from either side,but i always felt safe because of the large support and the large police presence, Bolton Wanderers Burnden Park however was a dodgy derby. Usually played on a Tuesday night with few away fans and few police to protect them.
I've been to a few since the late 80s. I always find it depends on who you're with. Some, even at Turf Moor have been pretty hair-raising whereas others, like when Burnley tried to literally take the roof off Ewood Park I didn't find intimidating at all.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The athletics track disappeared in bits- the last of which went in the 90's.

I think greyhounds raced there yonks back.

Greyhounds and Speedway.

StamfordBridgeStars-400.jpg

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Ha! Cowdenbeath still play in such luxurious surroundings. The 21st Century hasn't quite made it there yet.

central.jpg
central2.jpg

Brian Hall died today

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/16/brian-hall-liverpool-dies-aged-68

I remember going to watch Liverpool train at Melwood as a kid, when you could just go in and Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith were taking the pee out of him because he had a degree, saying in a posh voice, "I say Brian, be a good chap and pass the ball would you". He didn't and belted it at the goal I was standing behind and it whistled over my head at some speed. Up until then I never knew you could hit a ball so hard. Funny how things trigger memories like that.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Brian Hall died today

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/16/brian-hall-liverpool-dies-aged-68

I remember going to watch Liverpool train at Melwood as a kid, when you could just go in and Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith were taking the pee out of him because he had a degree, saying in a posh voice, "I say Brian, be a good chap and pass the ball would you". He didn't and belted it at the goal I was standing behind and it whistled over my head at some speed. Up until then I never knew you could hit a ball so hard. Funny how things trigger memories like that.

That's the first i've heard of his passing. Maybe there'll be more on the local tv news on Monday? I remember him playing for Burnley at the end of his career, and of course for Liverpool in the early 1970's. I don't think he ever played for Scotland?

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
That's the first i've heard of his passing. Maybe there'll be more on the local tv news on Monday? I remember him playing for Burnley at the end of his career, and of course for Liverpool in the early 1970's. I don't think he ever played for Scotland?
It was mentioned on BBC TV North West News, but only a very brief mention with a clip of him scoring a goal in a game a long time ago. A player from times when footballers and the game itself seemed to be far more grounded and have far more humility than today - respect.

Top Bottom