The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Love 'em or hate 'em they're back, and credit where it's due they've climbed back from rock bottom. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35912680

What do you mean "back"?

The original club went bankrupt and were liquidated. This new club were admitted to the lowest league and have spent circa £100 million, accumulating debts of £30 million and have gone through four managers in four years to get into the top league at the second attempt. Credit where it's due?

martint235

Dog on a bike

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
liverpool-f-c_o_1578241.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah you cant

Yeah you just can't buy a decent history and sense of tradition.
Oh I don't know...Littlewoods Pools seemed to do very much that.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
And Chelsea...

Chelsea are not chokers at all - surely even the most ardent opponent of CFC would concede that here you have a team that would take it down to the wire on a match by match basis or season by season basis.

This has been the season from Hell with multiple negative issues/errors conspiring to land us firmly on our arse but any team that has won 14 major trophies in this millennium can hardly be accused of bottling it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's strange that Chelsea care about Liverpool whereas we don't really care about them. Man utd are who we hate. And I have personal reasons for hating arsenal

vickster

Legendary Member
Chelsea are not chokers at all - surely even the most ardent opponent of CFC would concede that here you have a team that would take it down to the wire on a match by match basis or season by season basis.

This has been the season from Hell with multiple negative issues/errors conspiring to land us firmly on our arse but any team that has won 14 major trophies in this millennium can hardly be accused of bottling it.
What multiple negative issues? Spending too much money on not very good players? Having a fruitcake of a manager?

SpokeyDokey

What multiple negative issues? Spending too much money on not very good players? Having a fruitcake of a manager?

Yes those +.

Some very poor transfer dealings from Emenalo over-paying for some low quality players plus failing to fulfil his remit of filling some key positions that were long overdue a change have proved to be catastrophic. As a contributory factor some of the constraints to hit our bigger targets were caused by CFC playing fair by FFP when there are clearly some shenanigans going on with some clubs which distorted the market. Cest la vie. For a team of Chelsea's success/ambition going into the new season with one temperamental (but very gifted) striker and a back-up of a failed MUFC reject (Falcao) and a lightweight (Remy) is near criminal.

Whilst I wouldn't agree that JM is a 'fruitcake' he did indeed show some real weaknesses of character with his handling of his team/staff/media and sad to say, despite his amazing on-pitch achievements I was glad to see him move on. I wouldn't be surprised to find out as time goes on if his father's serious illness during this period of time played a major part in his instability. Saying that, the guy has a fabulous record and would pretty much walk into any managerial vacancy on the planet - maybe not to universal accolade from the fans but from an owners perspective he is still a hot property. Flawed genius I guess.

The other issue that affected CFC was the ill-advised late pre-season tour in the constant attempt to develop emerging markets. As an aside this is something that saddens me about the modern game. We came back from season several weeks behind in match fitness which was a factor leading to our dismal start to the season and, eventually, the start of our implosion. One of the strands of dialogue that came out of this debacle was that the season is won from January onwards and that, even with a planned(!!!) slightly off the pace start, provided we were in the mix around Xmas time we would hit peak form in January and power on from there. That was a flawed philosophy.

Nonetheless, CFC are very definitely (despite all their wrinkles) not 'chokers'.

By far the biggest losers this season, in terms of trophies not won, are Arsenal & Spurs - with CFC/MUFC/MCFC having less than stellar seasons the door was open for these two clubs to seize the opportunity. Yet again Arsenal have fallen by the wayside when the chips are down and the Spurs position is looking increasingly fragile and the season is likely to become yet another of their false dawns.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

It's strange that Chelsea care about Liverpool whereas we don't really care about them. Man utd are who we hate. And I have personal reasons for hating arsenal

That's not strictly true imo.

Since the great CL ties we had with you back in the mid-late Noughties there has always been a fair amount of CFC dialogue on eg RAWK. I accept that MUFC are your big rivals but to say you 'don't care' about CFC is absurd. Well, maybe you don't care personally but your wider fan-base does.

FWIW it's only banter and I don't 'hate' any team. And as a supporter of 'my' team I do care about all the really good teams that we come up against - including LFC.

There's a lot of teams that I have admired over the years - LFC in their pomp, Arsenal's 'invincibles' and, of course, the mighty Red Devils who imo are far and away the best team that England has ever produced. Whilst I have my inevitable bias, as all fans do, I think that most fans recognise the strengths and achievements of the teams they don't support and is one of the facets of the game that I like.

Top Bottom