The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Interruptions are part of the natural play in both those sports. It would ruin a football match, and where would the game be without the odd headline grabbing controversy? Adds to it in my opinion.
There is usually so much whinging and protest after a sending off that there would have been time to check. As it can completely ruin a game why not check?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
There is usually so much whinging and protest after a sending off that there would have been time to check. As it can completely ruin a game why not check?

My view entirely. Garth Crooks is an advocate of the 'controversy adds to the game mantra'. Whilst I respect everyone's opinion on this as we are all entitled to think what we want; I simply cannot agree.

The game is about pitting the skills of two teams head to head and may the best team win etc. Obviously I accept that, as in life, a bit of Lady Luck will always play a part in the end result but what should not play a part is errors made by the officials. The technology exists and it ought to be used imo.

Cries of "it interrupts the flow of the play" don't work for me. Play stops all the time anyway and especially following controversial decisions.

Replays work well in other sports that are equally, if not more, fluid than football and in tennis it has become part of audience participation with the hand clap etc.

For those who watch a lot of football on TV it is self evident that replays work - quite often the viewer has been made aware that a decision is either wrong or right whilst the players are still arguing on the pitch with the ref'!

Similarly, not every decision needs reviewing, just the major game changers - maybe allow the referee to review any decision that he wishes to and give the captain of each team up to a maximum of three views per match as per tennis.

Trials worked well in this years World Club Championship and the trials are still continuing I gather.

Sadly football's governing bodies are notoriously luddite by nature so it may take a while to be adopted but I am convinced that eventually it will become the norm. I always saw the very successful implementation of goal line technology as the very welcome thin end of the wedge.

MarkF

Guru
My view entirely. Garth Crooks is an advocate of the 'controversy adds to the game mantra'. Whilst I respect everyone's opinion on this as we are all entitled to think what we want; I simply cannot agree.

The game is about pitting the skills of two teams head to head and may the best team win etc. Obviously I accept that, as in life, a bit of Lady Luck will always play a part in the end result but what should not play a part is errors made by the officials. The technology exists and it ought to be used imo.

Cries of "it interrupts the flow of the play" don't work for me. Play stops all the time anyway and especially following controversial decisions.

Replays work well in other sports that are equally, if not more, fluid than football and in tennis it has become part of audience participation with the hand clap etc.

For those who watch a lot of football on TV it is self evident that replays work - quite often the viewer has been made aware that a decision is either wrong or right whilst the players are still arguing on the pitch with the ref'!

Similarly, not every decision needs reviewing, just the major game changers - maybe allow the referee to review any decision that he wishes to and give the captain of each team up to a maximum of three views per match as per tennis.

Trials worked well in this years World Club Championship and the trials are still continuing I gather.

Sadly football's governing bodies are notoriously luddite by nature so it may take a while to be adopted but I am convinced that eventually it will become the norm. I always saw the very successful implementation of goal line technology as the very welcome thin end of the wedge.

Don't agree at all, L666ds having a perfectly good goal disallowed against Bradford City, is more enjoyable than us scoring. :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
oooh they're fighting back 3-2
Good goal that.

Top Bottom