The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Lukaku, what a rat trying to nick that goal from Davies

Indeed and hopefully the West Ham contingent might lighten up a bit. Especially as they had the gypo Andy "Pele" Carroll up front did you see that goal of his :notworthy:

It was ok, not "amazing" - just shows how droll most football is, and how they "big up" the Premiership. There are similar goals scored across many leagues week in, week out that receive little or no coverage. And I include amateur games.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
It was ok, not "amazing" - just shows how droll most football is, and how they "big up" the Premiership. There are similar goals scored across many leagues week in, week out that receive little or no coverage. And I include amateur games.

I didn't say it was the best goal I'd ever seen it was a good finish for a lanky steak. And if you say the Amateur leagues don't get the coverage you should watch Soccer AM. The mighty Maidenhead United have featured on there a couple of time recently for worldy finishes....

Class.

I didn't say it was the best goal I'd ever seen it was a good finish for a lanky steak. And if you say the Amateur leagues don't get the coverage you should watch Soccer AM. The mighty Maidenhead United have featured on there a couple of time recently for worldy finishes....

Class.

I didn't claim you had said it was the best goal you'd ever seen, nor did I say the amateur leagues get no coverage - I said similar goals were scored across many leagues, including amateur leagues, which got little or no coverage. A few snaps of footage on Soccer AM does not evidence anything other than "little coverage"/

Also the banner on one of the clips proclaiming "This goal belongs in the Premier League" kind of says it all really. No it doesn't, it belongs in the league it was scored in. There is much better football to be found elsewhere than the premiership.

Carroll's goal seems to be getting an awfy lot of coverage, the pundits and fans are semi-erect at the mention of the Premiership. It's pish, mostly.

edit - as for the clips you linked to, I see better goals most weeks in lower amateur leagues and lower Scottish league football.

Last edited:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I didn't claim you had said it was the best goal you'd ever seen, not did I say the amateur leagues get no coverage - I said similar goals were scored across many leagues, including amateur leagues, which got little or no coverage. A few snaps of footage on Soccer AM does not evidence anything other than "little coverage"/

Also the banner on one of the clips proclaiming "This goal belongs in the Premier League" kind of says it all really. No it doesn't, it belongs in the league it was scored in. There is much better football to be found elsewhere than the premiership.

Carroll's goal seems to be getting an awfy lot of coverage, the pundits and fans are semi-erect at the mention of the Premiership. It's pish, mostly.

edit - as for the clips you linked to, I see better goals most weeks in lower amateur leagues and lower Scottish league football.

I think the Carroll thing is more the recent downturn in the Spammers form and the Payet saga. Good result for them and as for your other ramblings not sure what your getting at except I hope all the much better goals you see get the top press they sound like they deserve in the Scottish version of motd. And the players are splashed all over the back pages of the national Scottish papers.

Freds Dad

Veteran
On the subject of great goals. Imagine the media storm if this was scored today.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlqU-pQMR74

I think the Carroll thing is more the recent downturn in the Spammers form and the Payet saga. Good result for them and as for your other ramblings not sure what your getting at except I hope all the much better goals you see get the top press they sound like they deserve in the Scottish version of motd. And the players are splashed all over the back pages of the national Scottish papers.
Unfortunately not, unless it's the "old firm" then there is very little coverage. Blinkered bigotry reigns.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Laaandan football advice please

Will be there w/end Feb 11/12 with some folk from Asia. They have no real idea about football but it would be fun to take them to a real match with good atmosphere...good crowd, plenty of singing and abusing the ref...that sort of thing

Here are the Saturday fixtures..what do local experts think?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/fixtures/2017-02-11

Need to consider ticket availability, pricing, travel from city centre, atmosphere etc

Millwall v Southend looks fun?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
good crowd, plenty of singing and abusing the ref...that sort of thing

Need to consider ticket availability, pricing, travel from city centre, atmosphere etc

Apart from the ref abuse you won't get the rest at Millwall. More akin to going for a tooled up fight on an industrial estate wasteland.

Fulham are playing at home on that day. Much better alternative IMO.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Apart from the ref abuse you won't get the rest at Millwall. More akin to going for a tooled up fight on an industrial estate wasteland.

Fulham are playing at home on that day. Much better alternative IMO.
Agreed. Nice little ground too, I'm not sure if you can still see the river from within (The boat race went past once when I went there with West Ham) as it is decades since I went there.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Laaandan football advice please

Will be there w/end Feb 11/12 with some folk from Asia. They have no real idea about football but it would be fun to take them to a real match with good atmosphere...good crowd, plenty of singing and abusing the ref...that sort of thing

Here are the Saturday fixtures..what do local experts think?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/fixtures/2017-02-11

I'd give QPR a go personally. Fulham has that weird neutral stand thing where home away or non football fans can sit together. That's not a true football atmosphere imo. QPR right on the pitch and always seems a good atmosphere on the box.

Top Bottom