FNRttC The Fridays Tour 2016

For which Fridays Tour in 2016 would you sign up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
There are four options on which we think you would like to vote. They all have pros & cons so take your time to think about it. They all involve carrying our own luggage. They all have some unsolved problems waiting for your practical and creative suggestions.
[EDIT -
Anyone can comment and come along - not just members of The Fridays. Before you come on the tour you'll have to join the CTC and The Fridays plus come on a ride with us: this is to make sure you like us and the culture of the club, and understand and can perform the duties of waymarking, etc. (And also we want to make sure you're not a complete prat.)
- end of EDIT}

We’ll also be asking about dates - we’re thinking of September (early if northern europe, late if it is southern France) - but think that can wait until the destination is decided.

We will take a decision on 1st December so those who need to book holidays before the end of the year can do so.
  1. Bordeaux to the Med.
    An easy tour. The natural continuation of what is now a series of routes from the Netherlands to Normandy & Bordeaux.

The route would be a mix of small lanes with some stretches along the Canal du Midi in increasingly warm sunshine stopping at little hotels in small villages, very different to the massive mono-agriculture of Northern France. It's flat and the weather can be warm and pleasant in late September.
    Leave home on the Friday morning, travel on Friday and Saturday and start riding on Sunday. Ride until Friday evening - six days in all to do a bit under 500km (with only something over 2,000m of climbing). Saturday & Sunday to get home.
    Some days will be pretty short and flat, which means those who want a harder ride can leave bags at the hotel and go for a harder ride.
    One downside is that the amount of time spent on getting to the start and back is quite big, as it involves travelling twice. Moreover, the Eurostar seems to have done away with the option of checking in naked non-folding bikes.
Getting There & Back:
  • Go by car-share and park in or near Bordeaux then travel back from Narbonne by train. We could suggest a hotel (probably outside the town, not in the centre as last year) that we’d stay in and park the cars at, then travel across France in, say, four cars. [NB. According to Deutschen Bahn, on Saturdays with a bike Narbonne-Bordeaux trains leave at 1005 & 1228 and take 6 or 7 hours with 2 or 3 changes, arriving at 1608 or 2008. captaintrain.com shows more & quicker (3h 30m) trains costing E116 that have bike reservation options. This is the big problem of the trip.
    Driving would necessitate an overnight stop en route to & from Bordeaux but with 3 or 4 people & their bikes on the roof it is probably competitive with the train.
  • By train with a return ticket to Bordeaux - then at Narbonne go back by train to Bordeaux and thence home on the train. Paris-Bordeaux about £70 single depending on the train.
  • Fly to Bordeaux – but there is not an airport close to Narbonne so you could go by train to Montpellier airport which has lots of flights to the UK - or might have to return to Bordeaux by train.
  • Take a folder & go by train with more options available.
  • the European Bike Express does not run to Bordeaux in September BUT this year it did a "Narbonne pick-up" heading north at the end of the season so that may be an option. This will depend on the date of the tour.
2. Hook of Holland to Berlin
A big, hard tour, long distances, possibility of bad weather in northern Europe but with Our Favourite German as a guide. Berlin is a great destination & the cycling would be good and mostly flat but days would be long: 800 km (with something like 4,500m of climbing) in 7 days means an average of nearly 120 km/75 miles every day, obviously longer days if we decided to do it in 6 days. We would need to research accommodation but there may not be much between youth hostels and rather expensive hotels.
Friday night ferry from Harwich, ride Saturday to Friday, have Saturday to see Berlin then Sunday to get home.
OR ride Saturday to Thursday night, have Friday sightseeing, then Saturday on the train (it’s an eight-hour journey with a few changes)
Taking the night ferry out from Harwich on Thursday night may be an attractive variation, as an extra day of riding can shorten the distances and extend the time for sightseeing in Berlin.
The route could be shortened by taking bikes on a train from Hook to Zwolle or Arnhem, but that would take time as Dutch trains are very bike-unfriendly (only a few spaces on each train so 20 of us would have to take a few trains to get to the “starting point”) and also loses the concept of riding from the coast to central Europe. This is a thorny problem.
Getting There & Back:
This is by far the most difficult logistics of all the options. Getting to the ferry is straightforward. Getting back from Berlin is anything but. So far, we can’t work out a way of getting bikes from Berlin to the Hook, unless we use the trains.
With a plethora of flights from Berlin to several London airports (Easyjet, BA, Lufthansa), the plane is clearly an option for the brave. Trains to Hoek offer some limited bike spaces which can work for 2 or 4 people but not for a group of 20 or so. The folding society can take high speed trains back, either combined with the ferry or the Eurostar.
We thought we may be able to hire a van with a driver but it does not look clear. Hiring a coach or using a freight company do not appeal, so we need creative thought on this. Renting estate cars at least to the Dutch border may be an option?

3. Roscoff – Caen; Brittany to Normandy.
Easy to get to the start and home from the end, familiar territory but different from the northern France we know.
New territory but a popular cycling area and straightforward ferries to get there (assuming you can get to Plymouth to get to Roscoff.)
A shorter distance overall so plenty of scope on the recce to identify attractive options for a good route and places to stay. Familiarly French – but different from either of the other areas we have visited.
Getting There & Back:
If we can find a way to get enough of us & our bikes to Plymouth it is straightforward: trains are one an hour, prices vary but from London are about £50-£70 single. Many of you will have sorted out a way to get home from Caen on previous Fridays jaunts.​

4. The Netherlands.
We dithered over offering this option because it would involve the same country two years running. However, several of you said - unprompted - you’d be happy to return so we felt it ought to be an option for this year. There is no doubt the cycling was the very best, anywhere we have been. We think we can come up with an interesting route that would not repeat any of this year’s route. Where it would go, we don’t know, but it’d start and finish at the Hook, so would involve trains to Harwich. Easy to get there and home, flat, but possibly windy. But the same country as this year and you might want something new.​

5. Any random place.
We’re aware that whatever poll is up, the one choice that usually has the most votes is “I don’t care where we’re going, if it’s The Fridays, sign me up”.​

We’d like your comments - preferably the more critical the better, it’s no use just coming up with the hallelujah chorus. At the end of this we’ll put something together, and you then have the choice of signing up for it or not.

Thoughts, please…...

Last edited:

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Very happy to do anything it will be a hoot....

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I have severe doubts about Berlin due to the logistics of getting back, but the description is still framed too negatively in other ways.
  • the distance is likely to be 750km rather than 800km (Google pedestrian routing actually says 696km) hence days are a bit shorter
  • the weather factor is a sham. climate in Brittany and Normandy - or the Netherlands, for that matter - can be as dismal as in Germany
  • double rooms in hotels tend to be between 90 and 120 euros including breakfast. that's 33-45 pounds per person, not really "rather expensive"
As for Bordeaux to Med: Why does destination have to be Narbonne? Other option with better traffic options seems to be Montpellier. Google Pedestrian Routing says it’s 493km from Bordeaux to Montpellier. There is an airport with one Easyjet flight to Gatwick, and people with folders can make it back to London within 7 hours on the train. According to Capitaine Trains, trains back to Bordeaux with bike reservation take 4:15hrs.)

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I voted for all of the above. Absolute preference for Bordeaux to the Med, finishing that one off would be nice. And I can fly from next door to work :smile: As I've stated before, reversing it and doing Berlin to the Hook would probably be easier logistically- certainly for anyone ready and willing to fly to the Fatherland. Trains going that way probably easier with a boxed bike too- in both cases disposable on arrival in Berlin. Seeing the place appeals, and it would be a reason to finally go through the German CD course I got some years ago....Roscoff-Caen works for me. As I missed out on the Netherlands. that certainly appeals too. AN Other location: Anything involving Belgium has an obvious appeal to me, there's plenty you missed out last month (Ghent, Oudenaarde, anything in Wallonia).

StuartG

slower but further
When is even more important than where 'cos if I can't come I don't care ...

Just to say Bordeaux to the Med is flat enough for an unsupported folder which solves the transport problem and makes hotels/motels/bailing out easier. Haven't got one? Brompton Dock don't care where you take 'em and at £2.50 hire/day it is less than a Calvados but even more fun. If I can do it - anybody can!

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
When is even more important than where 'cos if I can't come I don't care ...

Just to say Bordeaux to the Med is flat enough for an unsupported folder which solves the transport problem and makes hotels/motels/bailing out easier. Haven't got one? Brompton Dock don't care where you take 'em and at £2.50 hire/day it is less than a Calvados but even more fun. If I can do it - anybody can!

Cor! I really like this idea, I didn't know you could hire a Brommy, and there's a dock just 3 miles from me.

I'd be quite interested in coming along on the Med tour, if that was the consensus. Not that keen on sharing rooms though, but that's not anyone's problem but mine.

Last edited:
U

User482

For entirely selfish reasons, I voted Roscoff-Caen. Travel is faffage-free, and the overnight ferry means travel Friday evening/ night and be on the road Saturday morning. Whilst none of the other proposals have insurmountable problems, I do wonder if some of the daily distances proposed and the possible need to hire folders to make use of trains might be off-putting.

I have voted 'I'll go anywhere the Fridays go" but that's not strictly true...

I did not enjoy Normandy much so am not keen on Roscoff - Caen even though I've never been to Brittany - too hilly.

Berlin sounds like a logistical headache. Even if it all did come out okay in the end, who needs the stress of researching and finding the right solutions for a group of 20, eh?

This leaves two beautifully flat options, but definitely not as "second best" by-process-of-elimination! I loved the Netherlands and am dying to go back -- in fact, chances are very good that Adam and I will go back on our own next year anyway, but I would not say 'no' to going twice!

I also love the idea of cycling from Bordeaux to the Midi, as I've been down that way in a classic convertible and would love to get a fresh view by bicycle. I understand the logistical challenges but it doesn't sound as tricky as Hook to Berlin.

^_^:okay:

Last edited:
I need to put my thinking head on for this............

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
First things first. September is probably going to be impossible for me, again - unless I've changed my job radically it's a month when I need to be on hand in the office. But no-one should arrange anything just to suit one person.

Of the options proposed, Berlin (even with @redfalo's corrections) just feels too much like a marathon to be a Fridays' ride. I gather from my spy that the day out of the saddle went down very well among those who took the sensible option rather than rode to Germany.

Bordeaux to the Med is lovely, but the travel would be a hassle. Back from Bordeaux gave some people palpitations even before the stress of a strike to add to the complications. Someone's suggested Montpellier - it's probably easier to get back from than Narbonne, as it's a main rail and air destination. Don't rule out the option of a one-way van hire. The two of us hired a medium sized MPV one-way for three days from Perpignan to Caen and it cost no more than two single train tickets. There's one long day of driving - to Champagne - and one short day.

I know nothing about Holland, so I'll stay quiet on the subject.

As for Westward Ho! to Roscoff - that sounds like a neat idea. There's an obvious half-way point with good transport, at St-Malo (ferries to St-Malo are very civilised - overnight each way, and long enough journey to get a decent sleep). If you timed it right you could do one bit of it over a long weekend and one bit of it midweek, so you've got four options for people - don't come, come on one or other leg, or come on the whole thing.

I know the hills will put some off, but frankly that's true of anywhere other than the Low Countries (which are called Low for a reason that's not to do with religion).

rvw

Guru
Wot @srw said. If he can't come along, I could well be up for this solo again, but probably not northern France (a bit too hilly) and pretty definitely not Hook-Berlin (too hard-core for me, I think). Holland was lovely, and friendly, and there are still lots of places to see, so that would very much appeal. But I wouldn't rule anything out absolutely, at this stage!

Montpellier is a lovely place in its own right as well as logistically a bit easier; and if one-way van hire turns out to be a practical option I'd be happy to be part of the driving team. Motorways through France are much less tiring than in the UK.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
if one-way van hire turns out to be a practical option I'd be happy to be part of the driving team
To be clear: one-way van hire tends to double the cost so there would be a doubled cost going south - perhaps from Calais - and then again coming back northwards. Plus the train fare for each rider. And hiring a van from London and putting the bikes in while riders fly to Bordeaux would involve someone volunteering to spend nine days driving across France, then to the Med, and then back to Gatwick. There would need to be two drivers (as we have a duty of care). This is all tricky. We have puzzled over this muchly.

StuartG

slower but further
Just a thought on the Bordeaux option. If you have a few days spare beforehand you could cruise down on the ferry to Bilbao and ride up from there.

The Guggenheim, St Jean de la Luz, Biarritz - lots to see and enjoy.

Top Bottom