The Fridays Tour de Normandie 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist

wanda2010

Guru
Egg it is.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Not sure of my road to Rouen just yet- direct routes are only about 80km so I might stick with you lot until a convenient point to head south. I'm not exactly going to be in a rush. SNCF tickets should be on sale next week.

frank9755

Cyclist
We're in the Hotel de la Plage - just round a couple of corners from the Egg.

I remember being quite surprised to see the strip of beach-front hotels along that bit of the coast. I'd not realised that Dieppe had a history as a resort, but I guess at one time it would be one of the places that Parisians went for their seaside holidays. And it's aged rather better than most UK equivalents!

U

User482

Shouldn't it be Oeuf?

Why do French people only have one egg for breakfast?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
one of the places that Parisians went for their seaside holidays
It might have been where English folk went for a bit of the exotic: the name of the Hotel Windsor struck me as odd until I realised there was probably an English tourist trade larger than the one nowadays. The local council tries to encourage us to go there by helping out with The Dieppe Raid, a series of audax rides in the summer, when the "beard and sandals" count in the town rockets off the scale

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
When I was young I remember going to Europe on the boat train from Victoria, to Newhaven and Dieppe and then on southwards by train.

I have a vague feeling it was the trip when we went on to Tuebingen in Southern Germany, only because I think I remember seeing Cologne cathedral from the train.

I think the Avenue Verte out of Dieppe follows what was originally the main line between London and Paris, and which was closed in the French equivalent of the Beeching cuts.

Top Bottom