The Fridays Tour de Normandie 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Stu, your best bet is to stick with us, get to Dieppe and take a cheap fast train to Rouen.
@StuAff - they are modern two carriage DMUs with free AMPLE cycle space and, usually, a pretty conductress. Make sure you download a Google Streetmap of Rouen in advance. Its a very confusing city. I got lost every time I had a paper map. Whereas a GoogleMap with GPS marker makes it trivial - even if it is only a mile. Oh, and Gare Rive Droite is worth a visit even if you are not catching a train

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Special prize for knowing what a DMU is without looking it up.

Although, Stuart G, the trains that go through to Paris are longer. But, agreed, both Dieppe Station and Rouen's Gare Rive Droit are worth a visit - the first for reasons that are so obscure that I'll not trouble you with here........

upload_2015-3-27_12-32-43.png

any resemblance to the Horniman Museum is purely co-incidental

upload_2015-3-27_12-33-58.png

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@StuAff - they are modern two carriage DMUs with free AMPLE cycle space and, usually, a pretty conductress. Make sure you download a Google Streetmap of Rouen in advance. Its a very confusing city. I got lost every time I had a paper map. Whereas a GoogleMap with GPS marker makes it trivial - even if it is only a mile. Oh, and Gare Rive Droite is worth a visit even if you are not catching a train
Cycle spaces will not be required, I'll be on Chutney. Osmand (OpenStreetMap) will be on the phone. And I will be visiting the Gare to catch my train to Brussels. :smile:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Getting really rather excited. Just think! A ride without miles of gravel-strewn ruts, with some jolly company, decent food and I can have a shower once a day instead of once a fortnight, hence not stinking like a dead badger.
By the way, to save you asking, my cycling trip to Patagonia was ghastly. This, on the other hand, is sure to be pure heaven. Hurrah for @dellzeqq I say.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

mmmmartin

Random geezer
For the Thursday crossers to Cherbourg, any suggestions (other than the Ibis) for the hotel I should book for Thursday night? I'm thinking of a coastal wander northwest-wards on Friday, btw.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Would someone be so good as to post a brief summary of the schedule? As in dates, ferry times and stopovers. I'm short on time and need to figure out which bits I still have to sort out.

Thanks!

Would someone be so good as to post a brief summary of the schedule? As in dates, ferry times and stopovers. I'm short on time and need to figure out which bits I still have to sort out.

Thanks!

TC, this is what I've got jotted down, with the ferries booked by DZ.

Friday, 22 May
1400 ferry Portsmouth to Cherbourg
(some are staying overnight in Cherbourg, others onwards towards or in Brix)
ETA: several of us are booked into the Ibis de Cherbourg or its Ibis budget sister next door - sharing opportunity?

Saturday, 23 May
Meet early outside boulangerie in BRIX
Ride to BAYEUX

Sunday, 24 May
Leave Bayeux at “civilised hour”
Ride to HONFLEUR
(evening get-together at Au Relais de Cyclistes)

Monday, 25 May
Meet at Au Relais de Cyclistes EARLY (carry food & water)
Ride to SAINT-SAENS DIEPPE
ETA: several of us are booked into the Egg Hotel - cheap! possible sharing option?

Tuesday, 26 May
1230 ferry to Newhaven

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Thanks!
Check in at the ferry is 1515 at the latest, and I'd allow twenty minutes at least to get from Fratton station, preferably longer. Advance fares from Swansea currently £27.50.

Top Bottom