The Fridays Tour de Normandie 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The cycle space on the fast cat is in the space under the ramp to the upstairs car spaces. It is not like the Dieppe ferry where they can allocate another alcove, so might be finite.
Almost certainly right. On the BR site, selecting the Caen service on the Friday night gives the message 'please call', so more bike spaces might well be an option there.

Other alternatives that have come to mind:
Whole thing in reverse (i.e. Dieppe to Cherbourg) might sort the problem
Hire van in Pompey with willing accomplice driver. Bikes in van, on ferry. Van goes back on the next boat.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Change of dates may be required....not only are tickets for those dates on sale, Brittany Ferries website gives the 1600 sailing on May 22 as full (when bicycle option selected). So different dates, perhaps the overnighter to Caen instead, or the origami option (cue wailing of teeth in St Reatham)....
er..............that's because I've reserved all the tickets, Stu.................the cost will be approoximately twenty nine pounds per person

I've also got first dibs on the ferry coming back when reservations open

Last edited:

StuAff

In the event that I can't make the Friday night Cherbourg sailing, also been looking at alternatives. Caen overnighter would work (can't imagine they wouldn't have enough bike space), train from Caen to Valognes or Carentan. DFDS do an overnight service to Le Havre (trains again).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Right. I have a cunning plan. It involves telling my CEO that force majeure means I'll have to leave the all-day meeting after lunch, getting a train from Guildford to Portsmouth with the Brommie in time to meet the 4pm ferry, swop from Brommie to tandem, and relax on board with a glass of something other than water.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Right. I have a cunning plan. It involves telling my CEO that force majeure means I'll have to leave the all-day meeting after lunch, getting a train from Guildford to Portsmouth with the Brommie in time to meet the 4pm ferry, swop from Brommie to tandem, and relax on board with a glass of something other than water.
regrettably this is going to be a no-alcohol tour. For insurance reasons.................

(just kidding)

StuAff

OK. Listen up. Nobody book anything or reserve anything until you get the all clear.

Understood?
Absolutely.
Waiting on confirmation for this and Spain before doing the leave form, let alone booking anything, anywhere....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
regrettably this is going to be a no-alcohol tour. For insurance reasons.................

By then we shall both have been on an 8-month no-alcohol session.

There isn't any alcoholin wine, is there?

OK. Listen up. Nobody book anything or reserve anything until you get the all clear.

Understood?

Re Dieppe, I understand the ferry route to Newhaven has a 1 year reprieve until the end of 2015, but going through the ferry spotters enthusiasts forums, there's been mention that DFDS may alter timings & frequencies of the service next year. So might be best to also have a Plan B, such as doubling back to Le Havre?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Re Dieppe, I understand the ferry route to Newhaven has a 1 year reprieve until the end of 2015, but going through the ferry spotters enthusiasts forums, there's been mention that DFDS may alter timings & frequencies of the service next year. So might be best to also have a Plan B, such as doubling back to Le Havre?
I'm assured that there will be a daily service in May. If the situation changes when I attempt to book the tickets I'll come up with a plan B

Top Bottom