The Gardening Forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just dilute it as soon as possible. It's like pouring an equal amount of bleach on it. The ammonia kills its, if there's too much.

That's sort of what I'm asking how to do.
And the bigger question? What is the soil like underneath the current lawn? That'll suggest remedies that may work!

I'm guessing from the photos - but could easily be wrong. That the turf roots form a mat maybe an inch thick; don't go much below that? Probably a clay soil, with a "thin mat" of turf? Which ..... well, it basically slides around on the soil surface because lawn grass roots aren't strong enough to bore more deeply through the soil.

Peel back a wee bit of turf, and take a handful of the soil. Squeeze it into a ball with your hand. Then - gently break the ball.
  • If it breaks and crumbs really easily, then I'm wrong, and it ain't a clay soil.
  • If it sticks together, holds its shape, and feels kinda sticky - then it is a clay soil.
Do that wee test - tell us what your soil ball (!) feels like.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
And the bigger question? What is the soil like underneath the current lawn? That'll suggest remedies that may work!

I'm guessing from the photos - but could easily be wrong. That the turf roots form a mat maybe an inch thick; don't go much below that? Probably a clay soil, with a "thin mat" of turf? Which ..... well, it basically slides around on the soil surface because lawn grass roots aren't strong enough to bore more deeply through the soil.

Peel back a wee bit of turf, and take a handful of the soil. Squeeze it into a ball with your hand. Then - gently break the ball.
  • If it breaks and crumbs really easily, then I'm wrong, and it ain't a clay soil.
  • If it sticks together, holds its shape, and feels kinda sticky - then it is a clay soil.
Do that wee test - tell us what your soil ball (!) feels like.
It was laid a couple of year ago. Plenty of sand, covered in topsoil and then turfed. I don't think it's too clayey, but if I've time later I'll nip out and do the ball squeeze test.

U

User32269

I discovered the perfect solution to having a decent lawn a couple of years ago. Unfortunately my missus said I wasn't allowed to sell the kids so it still looks like a bomb site.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yeah, I finally grew some lettuce last autumn. Got a big patch of mixed leaf out there through winter now :smile:
Every time I've moved house I've dug up great chunks of "lawn" for veggie growing. My current "lawns" do have grass but I encourage diversity. Had a couple of wild orchids move in amongst loads of other interesting stuff. Each to their own of course but a mono culture of perfect lawn is boring IMHO.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Every time I've moved house I've dug up great chunks of "lawn" for veggie growing. My current "lawns" do have grass but I encourage diversity. Had a couple of wild orchids move in amongst loads of other interesting stuff. Each to their own of course but a mono culture of perfect lawn is boring IMHO.
Back in the days when everbody grew their own, a lawn was a sign of affluence, ie you were so wealthy that you didn't need the space to grow veg, but could afford to buy it. Or so I've heard anyway.

Top Bottom