The Good people Of York/Hull !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Admin said:
Shall we all meet at St. Stephen's Square (next to Hull Train Station) for an 11am start?

That sounds ok. If it's a little damp we can all meet by the station entrance, under cover :becool:

Not sure about the road route tho. The roads can be busy, especially for a group of riders. I know these roads quite well & can plot a route on quieter roads if you like, but maybe a little longer :wacko:

Soltydog said:
I know these roads quite well & can plot a route on quieter roads if you like, but maybe a little longer :wacko:

How much longer ?:becool:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
gezza said:
How much longer ?:becool:

How much longer do you want it to be :sad:
Looking at the map, you can actually ride past Sutton & as far as the A165 on a road bike, as the track is all tarmac to that point. This will reduce the distance a little & riding to Hornsea on quieter roads shouldn't add too much more, unless you want it to :wacko:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
craigwend said:
How about??

URL for this route is: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2208057

Hope it worked ...

Worked for me :tongue: If that's too long, you could always travel a little further up the A165 & then through Old Ellerby & at Hatfield you could always go towards Goxhill & Sigglesthorne rather than using Hull Road.

I'll lead the ride up the TPT into Hornsea if other locals are using the road :laugh:

How many plan on camping the Saturday night, so i have a rough idea ?

Shaun

Founder
Good point about the busy roads.

I've updated the link to the new road route map - good call. :becool:

Hi all,
rode the track to Hornsea and back on Monday. A route really do enjoy riding and my favourite way of whiling away a morning.
As Soltydog suggests, track should be fine for road bikes up to A165, though there are a couple of poorly levelled tarmac sections that are a bit of a washboard effect.

Track is about as wet as I've seen it at the moment, some puddles on bits where I've never seen them before and a bit where trees overhang it and it never really dries out completely anyway. Anyone going that route will probably get a bit mud splashed, but most of it will dry out if there is a couple of dry days.
I would love to join you all but I'm at work unfortunately, so I'm not jealous. No, not a bit. Will also miss the Tour of Britain stage start in Hull :rofl:

Hope you get some sunshine for it!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think I'll try and do it there and back in a day - bringing camping stuff would weigh me down a lot.

Looking at the trains, there's one back, direct, at 18.46. Am I likely to make that OK? I don't mind later, but it means changing, and also if I buy a cheap day return it doesn't seem to be valid for later trains... I s'pose it's only £4 more for a completely open return. I can get the 9.52 out, which gets me in at 10.56.

Looking at Northern Rail's website it seems I don't have to book the bike on, it's first come first served. Helen, are you likely to end up on the same train out or back? I can't remember where you're based... I just hope that there's room for you, they reckon the train only takes two bikes...

I might actully go down to the station to confirm all this, I never quite trust what I've read on t'interweb...

Also, I like the sound of the track (shorter and mayber slower?) but I'l be on the FCR with skinny tyres, and I don't cope with very soft/wet surfaces (the bike's fine, I'm a wuss!), so apologies in advance if I have to get off and walk at all!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'll be coming in from the north so on a different train. I doubt I'll have a problem but can always throw my bike into the back of the car if I need to or even cycle at a push.

I would have thought you'll be back in plenty of time for the 18.46.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Northern Rail used to be pretty good with bikes, I know they say two bikes but I've seen a lot more than that on trains, even at rush hour when you're not supposed to. You also have to consider where relative to the terminus you are with their routes. I doubt you'll have a problem.

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
Northern Rail used to be pretty good with bikes, I know they say two bikes but I've seen a lot more than that on trains, even at rush hour when you're not supposed to. You also have to consider where relative to the terminus you are with their routes. I doubt you'll have a problem.

Cool. I'm fairly sure York is the terminus, so I'm ok that way, I'll be there early and if I see any other people arriving with bikes, I'll nobble tham somehow...:biggrin: Is Hull a terminus too? I've heard it's pretty terminal...;)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
York is the start point for that service & Hull is the terminating point. Not usually busy with bikes, esp Saturdays, although on my way home from the TPT there were 3 of us to get on ;) I took off my front wheel & sat with the bike in the area designated for wheelchairs, but obviously you cant do that if there's a wheelchair on :smile:
With the normal rolling stock on that route you should get two bikes on without panniers, but if it's a refurbished train then you can prob get 4 or 5 on :biggrin:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Also, I like the sound of the track (shorter and mayber slower?) but I'l be on the FCR with skinny tyres, and I don't cope with very soft/wet surfaces (the bike's fine, I'm a wuss!), so apologies in advance if I have to get off and walk at all!

Dont apologise, it'll give us all a breather :biggrin:

Arch said:
I think I'll try and do it there and back in a day - bringing camping stuff would weigh me down a lot.

I can do it in just over an hour, it's a couple of miles at most further into town and taking it easy I would have thought2 hours should see you doing it in one direction.

Soft bits are quite short, can't think of any over a bikes length and the only part I've ever been tempted to walk is a couple of hundred feet at New Ellerby where the railbed chippings are still in evidence making it a bit rough - the vibration on the bars was a bit uncomfy.

Anyone going to volunteer to take pictures and report on how things went? I'm hoping to have a turbo trainer on the ships bike by the weekend so will accompany you in spirit.

Top Bottom